Sign in to follow this  
elixir20

Dim headlights help

elixir20

OK guys, the headlights on my C-161 twin auto are very weak at idle and then brighten up nicely with more rpm's. The battery cranks over strongly when starting and seems ok. Is this normal? The lights on my 310-8 are bright regardless of throttle...Thanks.

Don1977

You might not have the best ground, thats what I would check first.

C-Series14

Don't know the reason but mine do it also on my C-161 Twin. I believe it is because of the electrical system of the B&S Twin. It is different from the Kohler powered tractor system. My other C-Series with the Kohlers are bright all the time. Some of the electrical guys will chime in...

Shuboxlover

Don't know the reason but mine do it also on my C-161 Twin. I believe it is because of the electrical system of the B&S Twin. It is different from the Kohler powered tractor system. My other C-Series with the Kohlers are bright all the time. Some of the electrical guys will chime in...

The C-161 had a Briggs??? :thumbs:

My GT-1642 (which has a Briggs) Definitely dims at low throttle (which is normal), but doesn't the C-161 come with a Kohler? :)

elixir20

The C-161 only had a Briggs twin cylinder...

Shuboxlover

The C-161 only had a Briggs twin cylinder...

well there you have it...... :thumbs:

If that Briggs is like mine, then the headlight brightness is directly proportional to the engine RPM's

TT

The C-161 TWIN :thumbs: had a twin cylinder Briggs.

The "plain" C-161 had a K-341 Kohler.

The B&S engines use a separate lighting coil (section of the stator), just like many old snowmobiles and ATVs. The faster the engine turns, the more "juice" is made for the lights.

The Kohler K's with the 3 amp non-regulated charging system were also like this and are (sort of) easily identified by the inability to have lights unless then engine is running.

They can be powered off battery voltage by simply feeding the headlight switch from a fuse-protected source (preferably only "hot" when key is on) instead of the stator wire coming from the engine. Make sure the wire from the engine is insulated and secure once it's disconnected.

Operator

Just like Terry said. I had a GT-1848 that did that so I rewired to the battery and "then there was light!" I even added two tailights instead of reflectors.

Randy

mavfreak

I have the same thing going on with my C161 twin. While I had the engine apart I cleaned the electrical components under the flywheel. The light are still dim but brighter and it charges better now. I had a lot of dust under there

elixir20

Thanks guys. About wiring up the rear reflectors... same process as making the headlights connected by the battery as suggested by TT? :thumbs:

TT

Power the taillights from the same terminal on the (current) switch that feeds the headlights.