Sign in to follow this  
Cody

Super Hot starter generator

Cody

Well guys i just got an 876 running that i bought. Yeaserday was the first time i had it running for more than 5 min, when i pulled it in the garage to change the oil i noticed that the starter generator was super hot, i couldnt hold my hand on it for more than 4 seconds. Any thought on why it has gotten so hot???? i dont think its supposed to get so hot but i could be wrong. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Horse'n Around

Just a thought, I wonder of one of the bearings could be bad. The increased friction of a bad bearing would cause a lot of heat. Have you tried removing the belt and seeing if the shaft rotates freely?If you feel excessive resistance or its just flat hard to turn I would say that a bearing is bad.

John

Cody

There is no unusual niose coming from the starter generator, and it turns the engine over easily. Which is why im confused because i was thinking it could be the bearings also :thumbs: any other thoughts??? it may need bearings im not to sure but would that cause it to get so hot? I was also thinking that something may be shorting out. I do not have much experiance with starter generators so im really not sure

WheelHorse_of_course

You may have a bad battery or misadjusted regulator that is causing it to put out max output the whole time the engine is running.

What do you see on the ammeter?

Is the battery getting warm too?

:) :thumbs:

Coadster32

I once had a bearing seize up on me. Didn't know about it untill after I smoked a belt, and got stuck with it. Just take the belt off and spin it by hand. Takes two minutes, and you'll know for sure. If the bearing is fine, move onto the electrical end of it. Good luck. :thumbs:

HorseFixer

I agree with AZ, I Haven't had an experience yet on a generator with bad bearings but I will tell you this.... Last year on the Snow Chucker about midway thru winter the Ole C-120 Clutch took a dump didn't give me any warning whatsoever and Poof blew that bearing slicker than snot. I had to cannibalize my 417a And since carry about 4 spares on hand with plenty of bearings. Oh and it also smoked the belt when the clutch stopped! So yes a bad bearing can wreak havoc and cause lots of problems and create excess heat.

Do you know anyone with a infra red digital point and shoot thermometer or a Good contact type? :) If so you should have them shoot it all over yer Gen and if it has bad bearings the heat source will be at the end(s) of the generator where bearings are located. And as WHOC mentioned take voltage and amperage readings. Good Luck! :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

:) :thumbs:

Cody

I really havent had much time to check into it, the pully on the starter spins free but when the tractor is running i can hear what sounds like possible bearing noise. its not real loud but i can still hear it. I may pull it apart and replace the bushings if i get some free time. Right now iv been working on restoring my 417-A FEL tractor. Hopefully this weekend ill have a chance to look at the 876 more.