Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

BOMBSHELL!

illinilefttackle

My dearly departed Daddy always said "If you an answer to something, get it right from the horses (no pun intended) mouth". With all this controversy about what to run in our HST on our horses-I e-mailed EATON customer service who ,in turn, gave me the contact info for EATON Hydraulics in Minn.

Eaton Hydraulics Operations

14615 Lone Oak Road

Eden Prairie, MN 55344-2079

Toll Free: 888-258-0222

Direct: 952-937-9800

FAX: 952-937-7394

I then called them and spoke with a guy named Brian in tech service about what to use in our Hydro Trannies-Synthetic-or- reg 10w-30 oil. HE SAID NIETHER. They do not reccomend using regular oil because it has high detergent qualities that will breakdown the seals in our Hydros. WOW. :WRS:

They now, and always have reccomended using HYDRAULIC OIL with SUS of 80-180. He explained it might be hard to find except at "an Implement dealer" because a lot of them dont rate by SUS. But he said 20w or 30w Hydraulic oil should be the same- he said SUS 80-180 you might have to buy in 55 gal drums.

GUYS-give me some input-hadn't we better change over ASAP? :whistle: -AL

Nick

One of the experts will know the first year an Eaton was used in a Wheel Horse but at over 20 years of Wheel Horse and Toro recommending engine oil for them I think its safe to stay with good ole 10w30 or 10w40. :whistle: I wouldnt be afraid to try a synthetic blend or full synthetic but thats something each owner might have to decide.

nylyon

To me, it actually makes more sense. You don't need the detergent qualities of the oil (that I know of) since it is used as a hydraulic fluid. I wonder what Wheel Horse used when new?

Curmudgeon

I think it would most important to not be changing from whatever is in there.

Unless you are doing a total rebuild, there is always going to be some of the old oil still in there.

Just how well the two different types mix is always a good guess. IF they don't mix well, you MIGHT end up with something worse than either of the two you started with.

Just a thought anyway..........

wse100

To me, it actually makes more sense. You don't need the detergent qualities of the oil (that I know of) since it is used as a hydraulic fluid. I wonder what Wheel Horse used when new?

I am new to wheel horse :D but not new to hydraulics! Since the hydraulic lines are a closed system, there really shouldn't be a need to have an oil with a detergent. Unless you are really sloppy and add a little dirt for good measure, you shouldn't need to use a detergent, at all.

Also I would question using multiweight oils, because really the work in reverse. 10w30 is supposed to be 10 weight when it is cold (for easier starting in the winter) and 30 in the summer- more protection. But what happens? In the winter it gets cold, and acts thicker, and in the summer it gets hot (and thinner).

I know I know I am not a wheelhorse dealer, and obviously they wouldn't recomend things that have not been proven to work, but that doesn't really mean they offer the best choice... :WRS: :whistle:

Nick

One more thing to add into the discussion is that this is a common sump system. The transaxle gears and hydraulic pump both use the same oil. Is that still a closed system compared to a regular hydraulic system? :whistle: In larger farm tractors a special oil is often specified or at least a Universal Hydraulic oil is needed that can lube both the gears and hydro pump.

I still believe they decided on a multi weight oil for a reason. The near 30 years of good service from the eaton hydros using it shows that the choice can't have been far off. :WRS:

wse100

One more thing to add into the discussion is that this is a common sump system. The transaxle gears and hydraulic pump both use the same oil. Is that still a closed system compared to a regular hydraulic system? whtractor/dunno.gif In larger farm tractors a special oil is often specified or at least a Universal Hydraulic oil is needed that can lube both the gears and hydro pump.

You pose a few really good questions here :D:WRS: :whistle:

illinilefttackle

:WRS: Guys-while I was at my little (while I'm retired" job today, I called 3 Wheel Horse Dealers-one of which was the one my tractor was purchased at new-Chandlers Sales & Service -Niles, Mi. I even called a "Green & Yellow" dealer just to get their 2 cents. ALL Wheel Horse Dealers go directly buy the manual-10w-30 oil-NO synthetic. The "Green & Yellow" dealer guy actually used to work at a Wheel Horse Dealer (go figure)- He says "go by the manual" I posed the question to him " REGULAR OIL OR SYNTHETIC?" He again said go by the manual- He said the viscosity was figured out by the engineers when the designed the Horses-clearances ,etc-therefore we should keep the oil in that it says in the Mfg. Manual(10w-30 dino oil) :D Forgive me Jackie Gleason- "What a revolting Developement".

You know, The wheel horse engineers couldnt all be bad guys (after all they come from South Bend Indiana)right? Personaly I'm going to put this topic to rest and leave whats in there, in there. It's beyond my powers of deduction-kinda like "the chicken or the egg thing"

Thanks for your thoughts, revelations, etc-I'll try not to start such a weird topic next time-AL :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

OK, just to add a bit of dirt to the oil..... and also to clarify for those who need to know (eg pre 1974 owners)....

From "Wheel Horse Automatic Transmission Repair Manual - Sundstrand Hydrostatic Systems" supplement 2:

Oil - The recommended transmission oil is SAE 10W-30 or SAE 10W-40 engine oil. IMPORTANT: All 1972 and prior, and some 1973 models use automatic transmission fluid (Dextron II). _Determine_type_of_oil_in_these_units_ - Do Not Mix engine oil and automatic transmission fluid. Units may have been changed to engine oil during prior overhauls. To convert to engine oild the entire system - transmission, trnsaxle, hoses, hydraulic lift valve - must be totally cleaned of transmission fluid.

I will add the following - Dextron II is red, so it is fairly easy to determine which is present.

Best of luck to all.