Sign in to follow this  
bread320i

Tecumseh points burning and smoking

bread320i

Im trying to get my Techumseh h70 running im my workhorse 700. I replaced the missing doides with some from radio shack. I soidered those in and reinstalled the wires. I then filed and cleaned the points, and put everything back together. When I turn the ignition switch to on, the points instantly burn and smoke. I obviously have something wired wrong. Either at the rectifier panel or at the points. I've looked at Tecumseh wiring diagrams and they all seem different from what I have or dont show me anything by the points.

Thnaks Adam

TT

:)

It sounds like you are supplying the kill wire to the coil with 12VDC. (which means you probably burnt up the ignition coil)

The terminal stud at the top of the diode panel is nothing more than a junction for the wire from the magneto and the wire to the "M" terminal of the ignition switch to be connected.

bread320i

I have a "white" wire going from the + terminal of the battery to the top terminal of the rectifier panel which is labled BAT +.

I have a "green" wire going from the ignition switch to the rectifier panel thats marked MAG (bottom center) I have the points kill wire here as well.

As for the coil I have the ground lead on the condensor mounting screw. The primary lead is screwed to the points which is attached to the condenser wire.

Where did I go wrong

TT

Check the ignition switch first. Make sure that it isn't supplying battery voltage through the magneto ground circuit at any time.

wheelhorse656

if you like i can send you the proper diagram for that model and also some pictures of the rectifire board on my tractor for a line to go by.

wheelhorse656

Adam i know where you can get a new ignition coil if you old one if fried. they cost about $35.

bread320i

Please do post som pictures.

I did check the ignition switch and I am getting battery voltage through the magneto ground. Will any 3 spade ignition switch work, or do I need a certain style? I would prefer oem Tecumseh parts, whos got the cheapest coil? Im sure mine is toasted.

wheelhorse656

i will add some pictures for you tomarrow. :)