Sign in to follow this  
first_of_many

67 Lawn Ranger help needed

first_of_many

I was mowing the lawn the day I got my ranger and it ran great for about a 1/2 hour than quit. Fired it up and it would only run with deck disengaged. So I thought the blades being dull and the grass being long was just too much for the little thing, so I took the deck off and now it will only run for about 2 min and dies. It will fire rite back up and run great for 2 min. From reading post on here I narrowed it down to carb, govorner, or points and condenser. I played with the carb for about 3 hours and still the same. Runs/idles perfect but only drives for about 2-4 min at a time. Please let me know if a new set of points and condeser should be my next try. What do they normaly cost?

VinsRJ

IMO you are on the right track, look next to the points and condensor. The parts should be cheap... like $15 total.

first_of_many

Thanks alot I will look for it this weekend at the dealer in town. I will let you guys know what happens. Is there a post out here that has detailed directions for this replacement. Have'nt changed points and condenser since shop class in high school.

W9JAB

This sound like a classic case of an obstructed fuel line,

I would pull the line off the carb and check the flow.

mytowcents.jpg

Coadster32

The fuel line is easy, fast and cheap to check. If that turns out OK, go to the points/condenser. Like Vin said, pretty cheap. It's exactly the same way you did it back in high school. (Gap at .02). I would also suggest an in-line fuel filter when you're picking up your parts. Might save you a problem down the road. Good luck.

rmaynard

And my reply to this problem is always, did you check to see if the gas cap vent is plugged? Same thing will happen if you don't have a way for air to get back into your gas tank.

Bob

W9JAB

gas cap vent is plugged?

Good point BOB :)

Coadster32

Great point Bob! Even easier to check. :)