Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Treed help

Rollerman

Treed since your the resident JD expert I have a question for you.

What can you tell me about 212's.

Gonna look at one with a friend who needs a GT & like to know what to look out for....Thanks

Stephen in northern IN

T-Mo

The 212 was part of the line that replaced the venerable 110 and 112 garden tractors for JD. Along with the 212, there was the 200 and 208 (8 hp Kohler), the 210 (10 hp), the 214 (14 hp Kohler) and the 216 (16 hp Kohler). The 212 had the 12 hp Kohler engine. All were the cast iron K-series Kohlers. The series were made from 1975 through the 1984 model year. They were very heavy built, weighing over 700 lbs without a deck. They had a 4 speed Peerless cast iron transmission with variable drive. With the variable drive, those thing could get and go with a top speed in 4 gear and the variable drive in the highest position of about 7 mph. The deck belt setup was similar to Wheel Horses. Decks included the 39 deck and the 47 deck. Snow blade, snow thrower, tiller, and other attachments can be still found. The lift was mechanical from the factory, but when new, a customer could have a dealer installed hydraulic lift or electric lift. The first few years it had a mechanical pto for the deck, and then starting in the early '80's electric pto was standard. I currently have a '79 210 and I also had a '78 214 - they're bullet proof and very solid, durable machines. You can find more info here:

Weekendfreedommachines

The thing to look for is how well does it shift. See if the tractor moves in all positions of the variable drive (there was one or two positions that were only for adjustments - so it should move in 5 of the 7 positions). If it has the mechanical pto clutch, the only maintenance they require is to pull off the pulley and grease the cup and cone and there is adjustments that can be made if it doesn't engage or disengaged. If it has a deck, they can weighed in close to 900 lbs. They're heavily built. Attachments like the snow blade and thrower are still readily available used. They're true garden tractors like the Wheel Horse Classic.

Rollerman

Thanks Treed I'll know more if I get a look tommorrow.

Stephen in northern IN...going to look at a John Deere :D

T-Mo

Here's a link to a couple of pictures of my 210 for reference: The 210 is at the far left in the first photo and the far right in the second photo. Dial-up Warning:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=130