Sign in to follow this  
csy33

NEED HELP ON 418-8 WIRING FOR STARTING.

csy33

Hello everyone! I'm an old retiree in Inverness,Florida. Just bought my first Wheel Horse , A 418-8 WITH THE kOHLER 18HP mAGNUM ENGINE, on the recommendation of a long time friend that they are the best he has found. Engine was frozen due to water getting in through the carb FOR 2.5 YEARS SITTING. Several days with lots of "Marvel Mystery" and urging finally got it to turn by hand. Put new battery in place and tried to start.Only a slight "Click" when I'm in the seat with the clutch and brake on.

I have replaced the solonoid following the previous connections. Took the starter off, hooked up to the battery with jumber cables and it ran ok. Cleaned the starter mounting surface and the hot terminal of the starter. Also removed the ignition switch and cleand all terminals and attaching wire terminals. When I turn key to start I get a louder click, then ammeter and everything goes dead, After a few minutes system seems to reset but another try brings same result. WHAT TO DO????

rickv1957

:thumbs: sounds like you have some cleaning to do on the electrical system,Rick

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Have you tried bypassing the safety switches? That's what I do first since it's easiest for me to test before I break out the meter.

csy33

Hi Ricky and Anonyomous. Thanks for the quick response. How can I bypass the safety switches and still retain ability for the starter to turn as it should?

csy33

I forgot to add to my post that I need a drive belt(s?) for my 418-8. Anyone know the correct number for the belt? I mean the one from the engine to the transmission. It has a 42" Tack-matic mower deck. Sure would appreciate the number for that belt also in anticipation I can get the WH running and mowing. Deck has a belt on it now but just looking toward the future. Hope the engine will be ok after sitting so long and being frozen. It took some real urging to get it to turn .Any tips on things to do to the engine?? There is a thin disc as part of the PTO on the engine shaft and it seems loose. I can pull it out about an inch or so to the side. What is with that? Sorry to ask so many questions. This is my first experience with the WH. I have a John Deere that I have had since 1972 and I understand and can keep that going. Thanks to all! Regards, Clark

WH nut

Sounds to me like a bad ground, either battery to engine or frame, or engine to battery. If you have jumper you can check it real east, hook neg to battery neg to frame and try it, if it doent go, hook from battery to engine

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Hi Ricky and Anonyomous. Thanks for the quick response. How can I bypass the safety switches and still retain ability for the starter to turn as it should?

I just unplug the two wires from the switch and connect them together with a small piece of wire of similar gauge one switch at a time. Obliviously it's best not to make this a permanent solution to a bad switch but it's handy for debugging bad safety switches.

csy33

Here is an update ! You were right about a bad grtound. I used your method of attaching a jumper cable from battery to engine oil drain plug and boy did it turn over as it should. Put a little gas down the carb and the little guy started. Boy what a feeling and sense of accomplishment to bring a frozen engine back to life. I put the shrouds and other tin back on today. Now I need to get a belt on it from engine to transmission, fix a rear tire and fix the PTO clutch. Thanks for the help.!!!Clark

WH nut

There are several theards on electrical on here if you search around. A lot of good ifo. Congrats on getting it going. Great job