Sign in to follow this  
jrpc5eliz

Wheelhorse won't start...

jrpc5eliz

My 16 year old Toro Wheelhorse (M# 72042, 264-H) recently mowed fine all day, then just stopped - mechanically and electrically. Just before stopping, a puff of white smoke came out from below the front end of the engine. When I looked in that area, the PTO Clutch was REALLY hot to the touch, and the white electrical connector on the PTO Clutch was molten...after this incident, the tractor won't start. I've checked all safety switches, they are good. I have +12V going to the Solenoid. I replaced the Solenoid, and on 'start' there is a 'machine gun' clicking noise coming from the Solenoid. I ohmed ground between the Solenoid ground tab and the engine block - this was good. I also sand-papered the ground connection terminals and the engine block ground connection location. Still won't start.

I took the PTO Clutch off of the drive shaft, and noticed bits mof metal embedded around the qty. 9 ball bearings...

All troubleshooting has been performed with the PTO Clutch connector disengaged from the Tractor side connector.

Ideas on how to troubleshoot this problem?

Duff

Hi, and :D ! Glad to have you aboard!

Sorry I don't have the knowlege to give you a hand on this problem. A lot of our fellows are at the big WH show in PA this weekend so an answer to your question may be a little slow in coming; please bear with us. Someone will be along to help, I'm sure!

Glad you found us!

Duff :thumbs:

Save Old Iron

The clicking sound from the solenoid usually is associated with low battery voltage to the solenoid or high resistance in the wiring leading to the solenoid circuit.

I would start by cleaning the battery terminals and contacts and checking the voltage on the battery terminals when the ignition switch is in the START position and the solenoid is clicking.

Low battery voltage (below 9v) - recharge it or replace the battery if it is over 3 years old.

Let's start there and go further if needed.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-96-1277611881.gif

• Like 1

rickv1957

Hello and :thumbs: Rick

mavfreak

:thumbs: Save_old_iron is one of the best here on electrical problems so pay attention to him. Good luck