Sign in to follow this  
PPGman

Wheel Horse Lift Actuator

PPGman

I just got my c-120 back together and cutting grass. Everything works great except for the electric lift actuator. It has been an off and on issue for years, but i would really like to get this thing working properly, or replace it if something is available. I don't know if parts are available to rebuild it or not. Maybe someone else dealt with this issue and found a suitable replacement. I would be interested in any solutions you might offer.

It works sometimes, but others it will stop and freeze. It does it both on the up and down cycle. There seems to be no ryme or reason to it. It does seem to work good on the first cycle, but after that it starts to freeze up. I had it apart, cleaned it the best i could, and cleaned the brushes with a bit of emory cloth, put it back together and still have the same issue. There is also a new switch installed. The issue presents itself both hooked to the tractor, and on a bench test hooked to 12volts directly. Not really sure where to look from here. My knowlege of electrical is basic at best. Anybody have any insight on how i can get this lift working properly?? I'm hoping that Chuck or some of the other electrical experts will chime in here. Thanks! :D

tgranthamfd

I'm not even sure what a lift actuator looks like, do you have any pictures you could post. Maybe, then, someone could spot a possible cause of the problem. I know I'm not a lot of help. :D

Save Old Iron

Doug,

the actuators are nothing more than fairly hefty DC motors stepped down thru some really steep gear ratios.

The gear ratios should allow the DC motor to start up easily even under the heavy load of an attachment (think creeper gear in a truck, its hard to stall the motor out when your in such a low gear).

This means the DC motor is probably the issue here, and standard wear and tear items usually involve worn or stuck brushes or a worn or dead spot on the commutator.

There may also be an internal (or possibly external) limit switches that might be kicking in at the wrong time. These switches are intended to activate only at the extremes of the actuator travel. If the switch is defective, it could be triggering the motor to stop prematurely.

I going to go with a worn DC motor (brushes, commutator).

Save Old Iron

Just an after thought - maybe there is a thermal cutout within the motor housing - if so, it could be tripping prematurely or even tripping due to excessive current thru the armature.

do you have a manufacturer ? maybe there is some info on the internet.

theoldwizard1

Jump over to this thread, especially where I start adding my $0.02, for more about the actuator.

Don1977

Duff-Norton makes a 2" - 12 volt Actuator the Track Master. They used to have a industrial plant in Charlotte, North Carolina. I checked the Internet and they still make one. I don't know if they are still in Charlotte.