Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Mystery project

Volfandt

Great project Jim.

Mith

Cheers guys.

Good to see you on this site Volfandt.

Well guys, it had got to the point in the workshop where there were more tools out than in the toolbox, so it was time to clean up. Bit hard to clean around something in the middle of the floor, so the tractor had to come out.

A bit of wiggling later and it *just* came out.

Image034.jpg

Playing with hydraulics everything needs to be real clean, so having a clean up was the right thing to do.

Its a heavy bit of kit, but with the help of the commando I got it up out of the way.

Image032.jpg

Image033.jpg

I'm slowly getting there, just doing the pump mounts and dash now, then I can order hoses and make it drive B) Hopefully within a month or so.

kpinnc

Wow!

That thing is HUGE!

Very cool project you've got there.

Kevin

Stigian

it had got to the point in the workshop where there were more tools out than in the toolbox

Image033.jpg

My workshack tends to be like that as well Jim, tidy it one day the next its a mess again B)

Is that a 3 point lift i see hung on the back B):whistle:

Cool work as always Sir B)

Mith

Cheers guys.

Ian, I hear ya! My old man dropped in the workshop for a look yesterday, he didnt even realise I had tidied up. Thats the problem with not getting much time, never get the chance to tidy as you go.

You got it, 3pt linkage on the back. I'll order one for the front some time.

Mith

Found some time in the workshop. Progress was slow due to the heat but some stuff got done. Nearly all the controls are in place, which is a great excuse to sit in the seat and 'test' (and slack off).

The framework around the steering wheel is going to be the bones of the dash and bulkhead unit. The valve unit beside the seat controls all the lifts and accessories. Other side of the seat will be the valves to control the drive bias.

Started on one of the pump mounts, when all 3 are done I can start ordering hoses which will signify the beginning of the end of the project.

Image050.jpg

Image051.jpg

BairleaFarm

That thing will bee so sweet when its done.

Duff

Man, that is shaping up to be one IMPRESSIVE beast! :whistle:

Nice work!

Duff B)

HorseFixer

Lookin Good!!! And It's :whistle:B)

Duke

Stigian

Good to see work is moving on, on the beast Jim B)

As for the weather, yes its been so hot and sticky of late, not nice for working in :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

Don't forget the RED paint B) !

And some custom WH decals.

So what will the model be ? D-1000 FLX ? :whistle: B)

Mith

Cheers guys.

Ian, tell me about it. I've really been struggling in the heat, particularly at work. I had to service a Kubota with a 5' mower in the middle of a field, no shade. That was pretty tough. I've actually lost 7lbs in the last 2 weeks B)

Ed, red? Pfff, its gotta be my trademark yellow and black :whistle: I'm still waiting for the perfect name. Hydrobeast is the best I've heard at this point.

Anyway a few more bits and bobs done. The seat mount is roughly done. Most the stuff is still tacked at this point, and obviously alot of it will have sheet metal attached.

The 2 valves to the right of the seat are for the drive bias (to send power to the wheel with the most grip).

2 of the pumps are attached, I'll attach the 3rd and then make the frame all the tensioners will mount to that tighten the belts. The pumps are mounted on plates that pivot, so with a threaded tensioner on the end of the plate I should be able to make sure the belts are really tight.

All going well I'll order a batch of hoses next week. Hey, it might even be working by the end of the month.....

Image055.jpg

Image054.jpg

perry

lookin good jim B) .

thats one awsome mamouth machine :whistle:

badbowtie

I stumbled upon this post looking for 4x4 mods, I thought I was the only one building an articulating 4X4, mine is now where near that big though. I tossed around the idea of going with hydraulics and decided against it to keep the cost down. Mine is shaft driven from the transaxle to a differential in the rear axle. which of course is homemade I can go into greater detail if anyone cares to hear about it. Also my engine is in front of the transaxle (front axle), the front tires are next to your feet as you are sitting on the tractor. Its got duals all the way around using 8 6x12 ag tread tires. Im using as much wheel horse stuff as I can find, hood, steering wheel, engine controls, rims, transaxle, and Id like to find a big kohler engine, right now the biggest engine I have is a B&S 13hp. When its done it will be a wheel horse 8213 which means 8 wheels on 2 drive axles 13 hp when this one is done Ill try to make a 12220. but right now Im trying to figure out how to make it turn without using hydraulics. Im thinking about using part of a truck flywheel centered on the pivot point and a starter gear on the steering shaft. That should be low enough gearing to turn it, even though the rear axle is POSI. Oh by the way over all length is only about 6 feet and Im using 2"x2"x1/4" angle iron for the frame. Kind of like a beefed up suburban frame. Keeping with the Wheel Horse theme. If anyone has any parts they want to donate to the project I would appreciate it and Ill post pics as soon as I can find my camera.

Mith

Badbowtie, maybe you could post some pictures of your machine somewhere. I was thinking about doing it the way you are, but I wanted hydraulics for the steering and lift and things, so decided to just go all out and do hydrualic drive too.

badbowtie

$$$$$CHA CHING$$$$$. All I see when I see the word "hydraulics" are dollar signs going up in smoke. Thats why I have decided against it, my original idea was to go with power steering but I wanted to put my power to the ground. Im not sure exactly how much horsepower would be lost with a power steering pump but its alot, and with only a 13hp engine and 8 tires to rotate I couldnt afford the luxery of power steering. On the other hand if your pockets are deeper than mine it might be a better way to go. With the steering I have in mind Im relatively certain that it wont take very much effort to turn it...as its rolling. At a "stand still", thats a different story, I dont think Ill even budge it, and because Im going with a drive shaft I have to limit my turning angle to about 30 degrees off center to keep my driveshaft from binding too much (which will leave me with about a 20ft turning radius) with hydraulic drive thats not something you have to worry about. Heres a little food for thought, if I was going to build a hydraulic drive tractor I would use an 8 way back hoe valve on the drive motors so I could run some wheels forward and some backwords, and some not at all. With it valved this way you would be able to go sideways on a slick or loose surface. With the steering turned all the way in one direction, the front tires rotating forward and the rear tires rotating backword the tractor would move sideways. I wouldnt do it on the front lawn but with the right tires and sharp enough steering it would work. not that its needed but it would be nice to have that kind of versatility in a 4x4. It would be near impossible to get stuck, even if it was "high centered".

Mith

I'd imagine that the power steering will only take about 2HP at the max. When the tractor is moving it'll need hardly any power atall.

Using a backhoe spool valve wouldnt work well for the drive, to go forwards you'd have to push all the levers forward. If you had good traction reversing the drive on one motor would probably twist the shaft off.

I've got a main drive control valve, then the 2 levers you see next to the seat allow you to put the power to the wheel with the most grip (drive bias). With the hydraulic plumbing it will drive like it has a locked center diff. The drive bias acts like a posi diff on the front and rear axles.

Image057.jpg

badbowtie

You might be right as far as twisting the shaft off if you had too much traction, I just meant on loose or slick surfaces. As far as the valving goes I was talking about an 8 position valve with one lever, actually I think it would take 2, then I guess it would steer almost like a skid stear. Id be curious as to how much this project cost when its done. I cant hardly believe mine will cost much over $500 and yours is alot more elaborate than mine is about $2000 more elaborate B)

Mith

I'm not keeping a tally, but my engine cost $2500 alone..... Scary, I dont want to think about it.

As with restorations, you just dont think about the cost.

badbowtie

Dude you coulda built a small block chevy for half that B)

Stigian

I'm not keeping a tally, but my engine cost $2500 alone.....

B):whistle:B)

I think that says it all..

Mith

Well, if something is worth doing its worth going broke over B)

Costs less than children :whistle:

TT

Costs less than children B)

B) , but oh so true!

Keep those reports coming, Jim. I'm really diggin' this monster :whistle:B) creation!

Perhaps you could call it Frankentractor? B)

Stigian

Costs less than children :omg:

LOL.... too true.... At least they are all working now :banghead::thumbs:

You cant be far off getting the beast running Jim :USA:

Are you going to give it some bodywork, or leave it naked.. oo-er :lol:

Mith

TT, HydroBeast seems to be the name of choice so far :USA:

I'm just doing all the little bits and bobs, did the tentioners for the pumps yesterday. Done a few bits and bobs like the front bumper today. I've got the first order of hoses coming soon, and all these bits and bobs have to be done before I can fit them.

While important, it doesnt exactly make for exciting pictures.

Ian, not long now. I'm just going to do the essentials and save the bits like making tow hitches for after its running.

Same with the bodywork, I'll probably make a bonnet and some tin around the dash when its working.

No pictures of the artic, I did snap some of a stuck with the digger. Slid into a shallow hole. The harder I tried to drive out the faster the low side wheel sunk. Started the get real close to falling over. Probably lost a few years off my life, but live and learn.

Its amazingly muddy for the middle of summer. I think most of us here have been caught out atleast once. The verges alongside the road are really boggy, choose the wrong spot to pull over and its an embarrassing call to the farm for rescue :banghead:

Image065.jpg

Image067.jpg