Sign in to follow this  
wfopete

Source for metal plating?

wfopete

A little off topic since most WH are covered in piant but I'm looking for a good source that does metal plating for hardware such as nuts/bolts and engine castings.

Thought you folks might have some insight on this.

rmaynard

In my area (Maryland) I have gotten quotes on zinc plating of the following items:

PTO lever, rod & hoop; hood latch assembly, height adjust rod, and lift lever rod.

Those six items were quoted anywhere from $125 to $250 to be plated.

Doesn't seem worth it unless you have an unlimited budget, and I don't.

Maybe in your area they can do it cheaper. Maryland always seems to be higher for everything.

Bob

Horse'n Around

You could check with shops that repair bumpers,in fact if you know someone in the autobody busness theres a chance that they might be able to get it done for you fairly cheap. When I was a bodyman the gentleman Al, that used to come by to pick up damaged bumpers was a really good guy, when I had something that I wanted to have plated like pulleys, brackets,master cyl cover etc, he would take them and work them in. Unfortuneately the vehicles that have plated bumpers are getting increasingly scarce, most are urethane or a variation of it, some have inner metal reinforcements but they are not plated, but the platers are still in busness and they will do small items.The shop we delt with didnt only plate chrome, they offered other plating services.

John

Mrs. Ed

Hi, check the Eastwood Automotive website www.eastwood.com and type "plating" in the search box. They have two products that might help you out, a Tin-Zinc Electroplating System and a Metal Blackening System.

Also, my experience with commercial electroplaters is they almost always have a minimum charge (years ago it was around $100) and quite often don't say so if you don't ask. Back when I was just starting to get into the mechaninal hobby and had more money than brains, I got caught by this when I had ten screws and two small brackets chrome plated. They kindly told me about their $99 minimum charge after they finished the parts (how helpful). I think they were talking advantage of me because I'm a girl, but now I know better. Good luck and I hope this info helps.

Polly