Sign in to follow this  
wallfish

Looking for advice on pulley sizes

wallfish

My new project is going to need some adjustments to the standard pulley sizes. Instead of using the trial and error method, I would like some advice on the sizes to use or consider. I'm not trying to set any speed records or kill myself but definitely want her to move a little faster. I want to try and use low gear speeds as the normal high gear speeds and use high as the extra speed range if possible. I was thinking 4.5 OD on the engine and 3 OD at the trany but have no idea what the ground speeds would be. Thanks in advance for any help!

12hp with an 8 speed trany

rat.jpg

The Toolman

stock frt an a 4 1/2" on the rear oughta get ya around 7-8 mph. Theres a copula threads somewhere here telling about it, an thats what they used.

TT

I'm running a 4" engine pulley / 2.5" tranz pulley with 18" tall tires on my black tractor and can still start out in 3rd-high from a dead stop. (top speed is somewhere around 16 to 18 mph @ 4150 rpm)

I also found out quickly that I had to add some serious caster to the front end to keep it going straight. :D

In case anyone missed it, here it is on

modracer

well how fast do you want to go, my race tractor goes 80km/h lol but i dont think you want anything that intence.....if you give me the tire size and how fast you want to go at what rpm i can figure out what pullys you need

kyle.m

VinsRJ

Question: Where is there a good place to get quality pulleys? The cast aluminum Chicago pulleys at Tractor Supply make me nervous :USA:

I would also like to get a little more ground speed for The Rat..... got a couple other tricks going on before the show too :D

wallfish

It seems the 4.5:3 ratio should work for me according to TT's experience on his tractor and they can always be changed if need be.

I wish I thought about the caster before I welded the front up. :D It could've been a very simple fix but it'll be a PITA now. Maybe toe in will help some but I doubt it will be enough.

Vince, I found these steel pulleys online at TSC in the correct sizes. I have been using the cast iron pulleys from Surplus Center for basic applications but I noticed they are marked as fractional hp. I feel more comfortable with them since they are designed for tractor applications. I wouldn't use those pot metal pulleys for something like this, they'll explode.

pulley page

This chart is for 3450 RPM engine speed

pulley_motor_rpm_3450.png