Sign in to follow this  
Torino

Once again: OEM belts vs after market

Torino

Just changed to drive belt on my 87 520. At first I got a Gates belt at NAPA. Then I read all the problems people where having with none OEM belts so I got an OEM belt. Funny thing the OEM belt was only 5 dollars more than the Gates. I looked at both of them side by side and there are very noticeable differences. For one thing the OEM belt is right much wider at the top and it looked a little taller. So, as long as OEM belts are not 3 or 4 times that of after market ones I think it would be best to stick with OEM. I know from having a couple JD's I was told that the OEMs are much better than the after market ones.

rickv1957

OEM Belts:thumbs: Rick

Don1977

I bought my Wheel Horse new in 1977 have never used any thing but OEM belts. I'm on my second drive belt and it still look good. On the forth set of mower belts that I changed two years ago.

barns1

I agree. Stay with oem. My horses like them alot better.

92Pony

What is/are a good online source/sources for an OEM belt? I just shredded my deck (engine to deck) belt on my 520 today.

(Found this thread while searching the forums for a source)

Thanks,

Wade

hodge

I will be the rebel- all my horses have tractor supply belts, and I have never shredded one, had issues, or have a reason to hunt down and pay shipping on OEM belts. I am sure they are great quality, and that they are worth the trouble- I just haven't experienced any issues yet.

Somebody has to make ripples in the pond.

rustynut

i agree with hodge im a rebel to i use napa belts on everything and they last as long as i need them to. yeehhhhaawwww :D

gregg.d250

Guess I'm in the rebel group too.... I use PIX aramid-kevlar woven belts. Cant even get them to glaze when abused. 1/3 the price of OEM.

They do have a strange, but distinct blue-grey color, but one gets used to it when their performance is so good!!