Sign in to follow this  
jsottile

Hydro Fluid in 520 is overflowing through dipstick

jsottile

I changed all the fluids when I bought my 520 last year. I had the correct amount of fluid (Amsoil 10w-30) in the Hydro when I changed it last fall. I used the tractor all winter to plow (I got a workout since I live in PA and we had a hard winter).

I just pulled off the plow, wheel weights and tire chains to get ready for the summer. I didn't drive the tractor but I was pushing it forward and back to get the chains off the tires.

A few days latter I look and there is a big puddle of fluid under the rearend. I look and the fluid is expanding and pushing out of the dipstick. I never added fluid since I changed it in the fall. I removed the hold down bolt for the gas line to try to vent the tranny and the fluid receeded but it is still pushing it out of the bolt hole.

Does anyone have an idea why the fluid would do this all of a sudden??? Do you think I air locked the tranny when I was hand pushing the tractor forward and back?

Thanks

WH nut

The transmission is nothing but a pump, depending on wether you are driving it or its driven. So with you pushing it back and forth could very well have just pumped fluid up the dipstick. Clean it off, and make sure its full and run it to see if it settles down