Sign in to follow this  
GlenPettit

GT-14 Steering Insert, Wanted-on-Loan

GlenPettit

Looking for a GT-14 Steering Insert, the early ('69-'70 style) "Roundish-Triangle" style, in reasonably good shape.

Would like to borrow it for a week to use as a 'Mother' pattern to make a 'Mother' mold so I can duplicate, correct and then reproduce these. I have been unable to locate any of these anywhere, they are scarce and always missing; do you have one or know of one that might be available?

This original can be nicked, dented, warped & scratched; all of which I can fix & improve on the duplicate 'Mother' I will make; will be making a Silicone Mold of it so the original will not be damaged in any way, and then immediately returned so I work on the duplicate: in exchange for several perfect (back to original factory condition) reproduced copies of this insert, plus other items I've made.

This is the only insert I have not reproduced for our Wheel Horses. Would be glad to furnish references from other Wheel Horse collectors that have lent me parts like this.

Glen Pettit -- "Wheel Horse Restorations by Glen Jeri" - Vender

Kelly

Glen I think that is a round insert, I just bought a D series that had the out of shape center on the steering wheel, and I put a round center cap from a C series in and it fit perfect, I heard others looking for the triangle center cap, but I've never seen one, I just lastnight did that.

rickv1957

Glen,I have one you can borrow,but it is from a distorted steering wheel,they were round when new,Rick

Brrly1

Whats up everyone, Kelly I believe that Glen is correct,That is a triangle looking cap with round corners. I haven't ever seen a cap but I have seen alot of steering wheels without caps. I don't think that all the steering wheels would automatically go to that shape because it seems that they are almost perfect in that particular shape. The cap would have to be at least three inches in diameter if not more. Just my opinion. Actually I hope Glen is correct because I could use a couple caps myself. Happy Hunting Glen! See Ya, Bye Burly :D

:omg:

GlenPettit

Everyone's right:

The '71 GT-14 used the round 2" insert; probably because the early '69-'70 "roundish triangle" insert fell out so easily, the plastic that was used then probably shrunk a little and then the press fit just didn't hold and stay in.

It was common for Wheel Horse & Cecil Pond to change and correct something almost immediately when they found out there was a problem, like the '69 & '70 GT-14 Inserts failing.

When we do find one (just sent Rick a PM), I will make some unseen modifications under the insert so it will hold and stay on the steering wheel (we're using Epoxy Resin which looks identical but is very stable, for casting these reproduced inserts).

Glen

Kelly

Ok I took some pictures, correct me if I'm wrong I have been many times, and I'm sure it will happen many more times.

First picture is a 1969 GT14 steering wheel it uses the same center cap that many tractors from 64 to about 69 used on the two spoke wheels, it is round.

100_2670.jpg

Is this the steering wheel that you are talking about that needs the triangle center cap? this is a 1973 D series or 18 auto but I think is the same wheel as the GT14 right or wrong??

100_2672.jpg

This steering wheel is the same wheel with about 2 min. shaping the center and fitting a center cap from a C series, might fit even better if it was warmer it's only 38 deg. here right now.

100_2671.jpg

center is the same as this one on my C-120

100_2673.jpg

If I'm wrong let me know so I learned something today :omg:

GlenPettit

Boy, have I learned a lot today.

There is NO "Roundish Triangle" Insert for the GT-14, and never has been.

The spokes on the Steering Wheel stretched out the original Round Opening for the standard inserts, to make the opening look like a triangle, it was the spokes pulling out on the circle.

Exactly like Kelly said; the '69 used the late 60's insert (#3, deep, 2"), and the '70 & '71 used the standard insert for the 70's (#5, white raised logo, 2.5", 3-spoke). There may be some overlapping of inserts & steering wheels in '70.

I learned from Rick, that the insert opening can be made round again using a heat gun and steady pressure.

I've had more than six people asking about the "roundish triangle" insert in the last two years, 'now we know', it never was.

Thanks again Kelly, you're the man.

Glen

Kelly

no heat gun needed, the steering wheel is rubber covered, even in the cold outside right now, I put the center cap in with not much effort.

Brrly1

Ok,Ok,Ok, I don't think that the steering wheel Glen is talking about looks like that. But then again I am not for sure. I think this is the picture that he is looking for. I think that the steering cap is different for this wheel as it does not look like that the plastic is a lot harder( not sure if thats what I mean) possibly stiffer than that of the D tractor. I'll let the judges decide. Now ya got me interested I even went out in the cold to snap pictures. I was all nice and warm in recliner relaxing after a wet day at work. Anyways that besides the point. See Ya, Bye Burly :D

DSC03647.jpg

DSC03653.jpg

DSC03651.jpg

rickv1957

The 70 and up GT14 has the plastic wheel like the raider and charger,a little heat will help reround them,John,I think wheel #1 is possibly out of round but a different style wheel,Rick

Brrly1

Kelly, the first wheel that I posted is different type of wheel than you D wheel. It's a different type of plastic or covering. The depth on the wheel itself is also different. It is alot deeper. I don't know as I have had the types of wheels that you are showing but I think there's quite a bit of difference. See Ya, Bye Burly :D

Brrly1

Rick , that plastic is pretty stiff I don't see how it could be out of round. If it is then I have learned something. I have seen alot of these without caps. This plastic as I said is alot stiffer than that of a D tractor. I'll watch and learn from here.

See Ya, Bye Burly :D

Kelly

Ok we need more pictures of the GT14 steering wheels, yes John yours is not the same as mine on my D, Rick you have a GT14 or two how bout some pictures???

Opps I see Rick only has a 69 GT14 Someone has to have a pic someplace, of a orig steering wheel

rickv1957

Kelly,my only current Gt14 is a 69 like what you have pictured,Rick

Roger from southern Iowa

I will take a pic of my GT14 steering wheel and get it on here tomorrow.

Roger from southern Iowa

Looks like I won't be any help with this.

Went out to take some pics of my steering wheel.

I had said before mine was a 71, actually it's a 73. Too new for this dilemma anyway.

It has a "flat" wheel on it, no taper down to the shaft at all.

Not sure if it is even the correct wheel for this machine now. :D

Sorry I'm no help. :omg:

wh1257

dad steering wheel like as my commando8

fireman

Here is my steering wheel. First I believe that my GT14 is a 1973 because of the model number. Can't find anything on Toro's site to confirm it but it's my understanding that the -8 at the end makes it an 1973. The steering wheel is a hard plastic. It's not soft like some of them. The sides are symmetrical and doesn't look like they have been deformed.

IDTag.jpg

SteeringWheel.jpg

SteeringWheel2.jpg

SteeringWheel3.jpg

Brrly1

Jeff, yours looks just like mine. See Ya, Bye Burly :D

Roger from southern Iowa

Mine is the same as Jeff's and Burly's.

The center of mine is actually round.

This tractor looks to have been stored inside a majority of it's life.

Think maybe extended exposure to the sun and heat has caused the triangle shape??? :omg:

Brrly1

Rodger, is yours softer or is the hard plastic like the ones we have posted. I thought you said you had the softer, more like the rubber type wheel, that is flat with no taper, like the D tractor's. I think its different that no one has a cap to this wheel and then again I think its wild that all of these wheels have the same triangular shape. I have yet to see a wheel with this design or this much taper, depth towards the steering shaft that actually has a round type of cap. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? See Ya, Bye Burly :D

Roger from southern Iowa

Mine is hard shiny plastic so to speak, including the three spokes.

I have a family thing to do right now, will post a pic later this evening.

George

Is this the insert that you are looking for? I can send it to you if you still need one.

100_1617.jpg

100_1618.jpg

100_1631.jpg

fireman

That steering wheel looks like mine :D . I think we have a winner :omg:

Brrly1

Bingo, Yes I believe your right Jeff. Now would you call that a circular cap or a triangular cap? That is the question now? Glen I will take four to go. See Ya Bye, Burly :D