Sign in to follow this  
72morph

Removing gear pump D160

72morph

Ok got up early to take out the gear pump,then got to the top two nuts in the back. :D Any body got ideas how to get those nuts off without dropping the rear tranaxle?Putting in the pump was a real treat, then no fix. :omg: Getting more Busch beer and kitty litter now.Oh yea the 10/30w keeps my hands supple and much like normal people who farm out such jobs.Got that going for me.Also keeps elbows nice and smooth also as it drips down.All is not bad.

pfrederi

The two top nuts are on long bolts that go through the case. Remove your seat and both rear wheels. Use a long extension and socket from the non-pump side to turn the bolt head while you hold the nut with an open end wrench working from the top.

I drained my tranny the day before and left it open all night...still got a lot of oil from the manifold and motor body...more kitty litter...at least it isn't 90w gear oil :omg:

EDIT: I forgot to add when you re-install I have found a magnet (one of the telescoping ones from Harbor Freight) to be helpful holding the nut to get it started

72morph

Thaaaanks veeeeery much.will start now and let you know

Thanksss Rick having trouble posting

72morph

Guess what I found?The strainer filter o ring gasket is missing on my original gear pump!There just happened to be one stuck on the new pump.Would this cause gear pump to bind on power pulls?

rickv1957

IMO,I think that the gasket could have caused your problem,as it would not seal strainer correctly without it possibly letting foreign matter to bypass strainer,Rick

72morph

No go still binds when warmed up.Well I guess I have a good pump and gear motor.Its 16:20 .Pulled head off kohler looks brand new.Will check rod later.Have good excuse to drink more beer.Trans looked good inside.No dirt or metal. :omg: :D