Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Testing a Transmission

rmaynard

I just picked up an 8-speed transmission from a non-working 1977 B-80. It had been sitting for years and the fluid inside looks like it has a little water in it. When I first tried to push the tractor, the wheels were locked with the shifter in neutral. However, after shifting through all the gears several times, it unlocked and could be pushed freely.

Now that I have the tranny out of the tractor and on the ground, I can turn the pulley and I get smooth operation of all forward and reverse gears. There is no leakage at any seals.

Here is my question. Short of opening the transmission and doing a visual inspection, is there any way to test these transmission off of the tractor?

:omg:

Bob

Save Old Iron

It depends on how "mission critical" your new find is.

No tear-down is needed if you can afford a breakdown in the middle of the summer or winter. If your going to be running a lawn care business with it - TEAR IT DOWN.

INSPECT WHAT YOU EXPECT - make sure by cracking the case.

A visual inspection is the best way to get a feel for the actual condition of the bearings and gears inside the housing.

Maybe even a quick audible comparison thru a mechanic's stethoscope. Listen to the bearings at several points at the transmission. Wheel hubs, brake shaft, gear selector(s), etc.

Listen to your current runner and then the new unknown transmission. Any significant difference in mechanical noises might give you a clue of impending issues.

I have a feeling you going to hear a lot of "just go for it" responses too.

Duff

Bob, there probably is a way to test one off the tractor but I'm not experienced enough to suggest how.

My suggestion, since you've already got the tranny unbolted from anything, would be to open it up anyway and check for any wear or damage inside. It's really not at all difficult, and if the insides are solid a new gasket to put the two halves of the case back together is only a few dollars. It also will allow you to completely drain the old fluid and see what if any parts/pieces/metal shavings might be hiding in the liquid.

It would be a shame to go to all the effort to install the tranny on a tractor and go through hooking everything up only to find there's a gear worn out or a bent shifter fork or some such. :omg: The trannies are very rugged units, but short of having run one youself since the tractor was new, there's really no way to know what might be gone or about to go to pieces inside.

Just my humble thoughts....

Duff :D

EDIT: Chuck beat me to it while I was typing, but we're both of the same mind! :D

rmaynard

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. Unless I can get the hubs off, :omg: it doesn't look like I will crack the case. But if I wake up tomorrow and my fairy godmother has miraculously removed those stubborn old hubs, I may just open her up.

Bob

Roger from southern Iowa

I've never personally split a WH transaxle,but they are "just nuts and bolts".(one of my favorite phrases).

I've had to remove tight hubs in the past. My best friend on them has been Knocker Loose, heat and a press. I know, :omg: but it works best for me.

Indy w h

Even if you can't get the hubs off you can still split the tranny

and take a "peek" inside.

Indy

JimD

If you just want to test the operation of the trans, run a belt from your PTO on another tractor to the input pulley on the 8 speed. You can then put it in gear, engage the pto at an idle and test the operation of each gear. You just need to have the 8 speed stationary for the test. I have done this in the past and it gives you a good feel for noise in operation. :omg:

rmaynard

If you just want to test the operation of the trans, run a belt from your PTO on another tractor to the input pulley on the 8 speed. You can then put it in gear, engage the pto at an idle and test the operation of each gear. You just need to have the 8 speed stationary for the test. I have done this in the past and it gives you a good feel for noise in operation. :omg:

Sound like a good idea. Thanks Jim.

Bob

rickv1957

Jim,that really is a great idea there! :omg: Rick

rmaynard

The only problem that I have with that is that my tractor engine noise overwhelms any sounds that the tranny might be making. I ended up putting a pulley on my bench grinder and ran a belt to the transmission. That was quiet enough that I could hear the gears. Of course I had to stop the grinder each time I wanted to shift to another gear.

Bob

Duff

The only problem that I have with that is that my tractor engine noise overwhelms any sounds that the tranny might be making. I ended up putting a pulley on my bench grinder and ran a belt to the transmission. That was quiet enough that I could hear the gears. Of course I had to stop the grinder each time I wanted to shift to another gear.

Bob, that sounds like a brilliant soultion! I used an old, worn out belt on my belt sander to drive the tranny by spinning the brake drum (cleaned it up at the same time!).

So what did you find after checking everything?

Duff :omg: