Sign in to follow this  

trans pulley 8 speed?

hi, i am having a time locating a transmission pulley. it is an 8 speed i have replaced into an older tractor. the original 3 speed pulley is 4 inch o.d. 3/4 bore an 3/16 keyway. the 8 speed transmission has an 5/8 input shaft with a 5/32 keyway. so i need a 4inch o.d. , 5/8 bore, 5/32 keyway. i ve been to hardwares, implement stores, bearing supply houses, motor rewinders, i have some people looking , but i still have no pulley. has anyone ran into this? :omg: jimmy

rickv1957

You could have a custom one built if need be,Rick

Rollerman

I picked up a generic stamped steel pulley at TSC.

I had to add a few washers on the inside of my beltguard as spacers to give it just a little more room around the pulley.

I'm only pushing 7 tired horsepower with my engine so I wasn't to worried about the differance in the keyway sizes.

I used the tractor quite abit this winter & have had no issues so far with the TSC "tin" pulley.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...+ranger+8+speed

Audioshot

Check this company out.

http://www.dondyeco.com/

Here is their catalog:

http://www.dondyeco.com/docs/catalog.pdf

I found out they made some of the OE pulley's under contract for Wheel Horse (Toro) and other companies. If they don't have it, I believe they can make one custom.

They were real friendly to deal with, and they ship COD. I ordered my 37" deck idler pulley's from them. The kicker is, every parts house (online or not) listed the part's from $50 - $70 a piece. I got them direct from here at $17 each! Talk about a mark up.

Chris

pfrederi

I needed the same thing when I put an 8 speed on my 753. Got the pulley from these guys. Works great

MFG supply 4" Pulley

KeithB

my rear pulleys are like 6.375"

thanks to all. :omg: i found the pulley. from industrial products. $58.00 i cant do that. i found a steel 3 1/2 pulley thats a 5/32 keyway. this will speed up the tractor, plus im running 24 inch tires. will it be too much, or will the the low range be still be ok? im debating on machining the hub of my stock 4" pulley to accept the hub of the 5/8" shaft pulley. i'd like to know someones input. thank you. jimmy

TT

What do you want to do with the tractor?

i want to use this one for my garden. will the 3.5 pulley in low range still be good for a tiller? or do i need the stock 4"? im running a stock pulley on the engine- 1" shaft k 161t kohler. thanks, jimmy

Indy w h

I think you shouldn't have any problem tilling in 1-low with the

oversized pulley. The high low is like an in-between gear so as long

as it will till slowly without riding the clutch you should be fine.

Indy

Horse Rancher

actually with the larger 8speed pulley on the trans it will

lower your speed so you would probablly use hi range all

the time

pfrederi

I was able to reuse my 753 belt guard with the 4 inch pulley (About $30 including shipping) if you try to use a larger pulley you will have problems with the belt guard.

Electro12WH

Can't you find an original 8 speed pulley from a used parts dealer?

TT

Can't you find an original 8 speed pulley from a used parts dealer?

Hen's teeth are actually easier to find than the OEM pulleys!

There were only 3 Wheel Horse tractors that used a 4" input pulley (5/8" shaft) on a 6 speed tranz.

Out of those three tractors, there were two different pulleys - one for the 8hp tractor and the other was shared by the 10 & 12hp tractors.

There's your pop quiz for the day. :omg:

Kelly

I think I know :D first year for the 6/8 speed tractors 1967 867 8hp 1067 and 1267 10and 12hp, those tractors still used the small engine drive pulley, did I get it right :omg: and on a side note the 867 was the first and only short framed tractor that had a 6 speed installed from the factory

TT

Exactly correct, Kelly! :D

I'll buy you :omg: the next time I see you. :D

Kelly

Chocolate twist please :omg:

hi, and thanks fellers. im going to run the 3.5 pulley with the 24 inch tires. i know i'll be fast in high. but thats the way it is. out of cash... hopefully low will make up for plowing the garden. jimmy