Sign in to follow this  
faster

deck repair

Butch

Thanks Faster! I've been waiting to hear from you. I was worried about putting more cracks in the deck when I whack it. Yours looks awful smooth. Did you use any body filler? Keep the pics comming on your progress. I keep looking daily for them. My deck will be the first thing I try painting with my gun.

I also like the thicker spindles with the keyed shafts that yours have. I was wondering if they are interchangeable. If the length, the diameter where the spindle goes through the deck and the bolt patterns are the same they should work. I have no idea what will happen if my blades were to get stuck on something when I mow without any keys. And I won't be mowing any grass either. My mower will be used for chopping up the leaves, brush and tree branches through our woods.

Keep the picks comming!

Butch

Butch

Faster did you sandblast your deck or use a grinder?

Butch

faster

Butch

My deck has be hammered and repair well before I got it just look at the middle roller weld job. I bought this back in 96 and mowed areas that should have been mowed with a bush hog finding all the good things like red brick that rolled out the shoot and kept running (its a heavy deck) I think the worse was a screw in dog post that it sucked up and did stop it but it was ok. As far as your spindle I think you have the newer ones (someone here should know) I would rebuild the ones you have and go for it. :omg:

faster

More parts showed up today the seals and spacers should have it back together this weekend. Also have 5 new roller coming and will replace the wheels also need to get this baby running soon.

DSCF5113.jpg

DSCF5112.jpg

Butch

Faster my bearings came today. 10 of them for $14.50 which INCLUDED priority mail!! Mine were 6203-2RS. Plus they're Abec 3s which is a step up from Abec 1's.

So at $1.45 each I'm pretty happy with them. I do have to remove a seal from each of them. I also picked up 3 used mandrels for $23.00 which are in much better shape than the ones I have.

Butch

Audioshot

Great job! One of the things I did on the deck I restored was weld a 1/2" reinforcing rod around the front. The previous owner crushed it into the blades at one point.

4464668007_875c9d0928.jpg

dcrage

Glad to see that other people dent the hood of their tractors -- I have some matching indentations on my 310-8 -- I thought it was in reverse and instead had it in first when I was trying to back away for the side of my Dad's 1947 ZTU Minneapolis Moline

Dave

(Imperial, MO)

Butch

Drats and double drats!! Although I'm very happy with the bearings I bought I have just discovered they don't fit. They sent me 6302s INSTEAD of 6203s! Drats and double drats. And now it's the weekend. Drats. That woulda made a good rainy weekend project. Drats and double drats. I can't even sandblast cause it's raining. What a wasted weekend. Drats and double drats.

But I did get some Miller welding literature in the mail today! Hot damn!!

Butch

S. Jersey

faster

Its finished all but the wheels (need new axles) but should be good for another 15 years. Went over the $100.00 rebuild with the new bolts and nuts and wheels but only by $30.00 or so. Have a look :omg:

DSCF5116.jpg

DSCF5117.jpg

DSCF5118-1.jpg

DSCF5120.jpg

DSCF5119.jpg

tommy3horse

Very nice workmanship there. Kinda hard to use it when it almost looks new!!

:omg:

Tom

WH854

:D Beautiful Job Faster :omg: Is that a turnbuckle you are using for the lift rod on the back? If it is, it is a good idea :D

Chas

PS need a set of belt covers to help keep the crap out!!

rickv1957

Faster,your deck looks great,nice work!,Rick

faster

:D Beautiful Job Faster :omg: Is that a turnbuckle you are using for the lift rod on the back? If it is, it is a good idea :D

Chas

PS need a set of belt covers to help keep the crap out!!

Thanks WH854,

It is a turnbuckle has been on there from the time I got it years ago. After looking at other decks I do see that its not right but seems to work. I`ll keep looking and see if I can find the right parts and the belt covers to.

PS thanks all for the support :D

dclarke

faster, that deck looks great! :omg:

HankB

Nice work on those decks!

It makes me wonder what I should be doing with my '97 deck to make it last long. It's a recycler so it really collects grass clippings. Maybe I should tear it down and check for rust. It seems to me that it would be better to catch that before it gets bad.

faster

Well just mowed the grass boy is that thing quiet. But it was very hard to pull up and lock in place. Anyway after looking alittle closer I found that I have the front two uprights on backwards easy fix but not today. :omg:

DSCF5120.jpg

Butch

She looks good Faster!! Hopefully mine will look that good one day!!

Anyone know if stainless steel hardware on these decks would hold up? Getting prices online for hardware shows I can get SS cheaper than zinc plated. The price difference is because of the shipping.

The Bolt Depot wanted $13 shipping for $12 worth of bolts! I can beat those prices on Ebay with stainless.

Butch

S. Jersey

gwgdog66

Well just mowed the grass boy is that thing quiet. But it was very hard to pull up and lock in place. Anyway after looking alittle closer I found that I have the front two uprights on backwards easy fix but not today. :omg:

DSCF5120.jpg

Faster,

I'm rebuilding a 42" RD and the Parts diagram is showing the center drive pulley flipped just the oppisite of yours.

When you had them off will they just go back on one way? Reason I ask is the old deck has it installed the same way as yours.

faster

DSCF5120.jpg

Faster,

I'm rebuilding a 42" RD and the Parts diagram is showing the center drive pulley flipped just the oppisite of yours.

When you had them off will they just go back on one way? Reason I ask is the old deck has it installed the same way as yours.

Damn, I think your right that middle blade must be spinning slower then the other two. Thanks for pointing that out one more thing that I need fixed. :D

Butch

I wonder if that has anything to do with the deck running smooth and quiet! But that pulley will have an affect on all 3 blades. One way would be high speed and low torque and the other way would be slow speed and high torque.

Butch

gwgdog66

Well just mowed the grass boy is that thing quiet. But it was very hard to pull up and lock in place. Anyway after looking Little closer I found that I have the front two uprights on backwards easy fix but not today. :omg:

DSCF5120.jpg

Faster,

I'm rebuilding a 42" RD and the Parts diagram is showing the center drive pulley flipped just the opposite of yours.

Damn, I think your right that middle blade must be spinning slower then the other two. Thanks for pointing that out one more thing that I need fixed. :D

I just looked at an old spindle from my old 42" SD deck and the small pulley does face down, and the larger one on top. I had to replace it several years ago, and never did get that one off the spindle. Mangled the pulley so bad I had to replace it.

Butch

I was looking at my 36" RD and the two pullies are the same size! So much for comparing it to the others!

Butch

tgranthamfd

You guys got me to wondering at 2am. 3 42" side discharge decks, all front pulleys on the same way, small pulley down. 2 of the decks are from the 70's and 1 is a 2005 untouched. Good job fellows. :omg:

plowmaster

hey im currently trying to pull off those two pulleys at the moment. the smaller one is on the bottom.

whats the trick to getting the pulleys off? im replacing all the bearings

Duff

Anyone know if stainless steel hardware on these decks would hold up? Getting prices online for hardware shows I can get SS cheaper than zinc plated. The price difference is because of the shipping.

Butch, SS bolts should do just fine in almost any application on these tractors except maybe the attachment between the tranny and the frame, and the engine mounting bolts. Somewhere here I think I read these should be Grade 8's but don't hold me to it. Otherwise (experts PLEASE correct me if I'm off base!!!) SS bolts should work and that certainly helps with corrosion issues. I still apply Neverseize to everything, but I also use washers and lock washers in a lot of places Wheel Horse didn't.

Duff :omg: