Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

First time my horse broke down while mowing

nylyon

Well, it was bound to happen. I was mowing the front 40 with Ole Bess (414-8) with its 42" side discharge mower when all of a sudden I heard a bang and the sound of the mower was much different. Nothing serious though, the belt just disintegrated.

Thankfully the Max (416 Hydro) was eager to finish up. Once the front was done off to the local mower shop who had a belt with my name on it. Next time I guess I'll get the complete deck kit for the 414 like I did for the 416 and not have to worry about this again.

This was the very first time in my 33 years of mowing with Wheel Horses that I had a failure during mowing. All in all, not too bad!

kj4kicks

Hi Karl, I know exactly how you feel. Luckily it was an easy fix for you. Once every 33 years is not a bad "track" record. Kudos!

Eldon.

nylyon

Biggest lesson I leaned is I need to go to my other dealer for parts. This guy charged me $26 for the deck belt. I think that is about 10 bucks to high. My other dealer is in Connecticut, really nice mom and pop dealership, but never have the parts in stock for me which is why I didn't go to them this time. Next time I'll plan a little better....

nylyon

In case anyone was wondering I got my 42" Rear Discharge deck kit off of eBay from Smith's small engines in Indiana. I got the deck belt, drive belt, idler pulley, anti-scalp rollers, gauge wheels and new blades (which I didn't use because of the recycler) all for about $75. It was mostly Stens parts and the gauge wheels needed a spacer for them to work, but I am happy with the products they sold. Next year I'll get the 42" Side kit.

T-Mo

Not bad, just one failure in 33 years - not bad at all.

Sparky

So is all your Wheel Horse stuff up for sale? :D . I'm sure your thinkin of switchin to an MTD(My Tractors Dead) product. Anyway let me know when the big sale is and I'll be right up!

Mike..........

nylyon

Well, at least with the MTD stuff, I would EXPECT things like this. Never expected this from Wheel Horse..... Broken belts, what's next tires need air or something?

T-Mo

Well, at least with the MTD stuff, I would EXPECT things like this. Never expected this from Wheel Horse..... Broken belts, what's next tires need air or something?

I bet you even have to replaced the gas every so often also. :D