Sign in to follow this  
landsurveyor

8 Speed Transmission Noise

landsurveyor

Hi Folks,

Hope you are all well!

Would just like an opinion on a noise my 8 speed transmission makes when stationary.

With the engine running and in neutral, if you release your foot off of the clutch, it makes a grinding/rattling sound!?

Is there something I need to adjust, or is it more serious than that?

Any advice is appreciated, if more info is needed, let me know what you need.

Thanks Guys!

Simon

B)

Sparky

I'll bet your idler pulley is shot. When the clutch is pushed the idler does nothing but with your foot off the clutch the idler is spinning. I dont think the bearings are replacable so a whole new pulley is in order. Their not expensive and its just a simple fix after the side belt cover is off.

Mike.........

Save Old Iron

Take off the trans belt idler pulley off the shaft and give it a spin - if it sounds like marbles in a jar - there's the issue.

gwgdog66

While you have the belt cover off check to make sure that the big Trans drive pulley is tight. It has a set screw that holds it to the shaft. Mine loosened up a while back and made the same type sound.

jimbotelho

I'll bet your idler pulley is shot. When the clutch is pushed the idler does nothing but with your foot off the clutch the idler is spinning. I dont think the bearings are replacable so a whole new pulley is in order. Their not expensive and its just a simple fix after the side belt cover is off.

Mike.........

you can pick one up at tractor supply i had to replace one not very long ago

landsurveyor

Thanks for all of your replies, I will check it out tomorrow, that would make a lot of sense! My Commando 800 is currently in bits, so will try the pulley off of that (if it fits!?)

Thanks again

Simon B)