Sign in to follow this  
T-Mo

The C141 is home

T-Mo

I brought the C141 home yesterday. I'm going to give her a good washing and then take some more pictures of her then. That is when I get batteries for my camera.

nylyon

Looking forward to seeing the C-141 along with the 314

T-Mo

Looking forward to seeing the C-141 along with the 314

If I can just keep those pesky Deeres from getting in the shots - they like to get their pictures taken. :D

But, seriously, I do want to get the Horses together for a family portrait.

T-Mo

Question on controls - I ordered the Owner's Manual and the Parts Catalog a few weeks ago and they finally came Saturday. I was skimming through the Owner's Manual and the section on controls and operating station. There is a control to disconnect the transmission from the engine, in front of the seat and behind the motion control lever. Is this the same as the push/tow lever which allows you to push a non-running hydrostatic tractor? On my C141 the previous owner painted red over basically everything, including the decal for this control lever that I couldn't tell what this lever was for before.

nylyon

Nope, that lever is not the same as the tow valve. On my C-120, that lever serves to decouple the engine from the trans AND is the parking brake. The C-120 does not have a brake, it utilizes the hydro for braking functions. I know on later model 300 series that lever was used to just decouple the engine and transmission, as those have a band brake. The 416 does not utilize that lever, the engine and trans can not be decoupled and the Eaton does not have a push tow.

Because the C-141 has the Sundstrand transmission, I would assume that that lever decouples and is the parking brake as well, but I know for certain it does NOT function as the push valve.

T-Mo

Okay. I did more reading into my owners manual and it sort of shows the tow valve. Unfortunately, the manual is a very bad print (even though Toro stamped - "Best Quality Copy Available" on the front) - it isn't good quality. Anyway, with the poor quality print of the manual and the fact that the tractor is painted red, everywhere, it's hard to decipher how to use the tow valve. From what I gather there is a valve on the transmission just front of the left rear wheel. Unfortunately I can't really see where the manual is pointing to because one can not see the picture with clarity and the decal on the tractor isn't visible either due to the generous amount of red paint.

But, I'll figure it out. Enough of the whining. The C141 does have a parking brake, in front of the seat, to the left, just behind the hydraulic lift lever. I'm still not sure what disengaging the transmission from the engine does, unless it protects the transmission when the engine is first started.

nylyon

Disengaging the transmission will help with cold weather starts. The intent I guess is to allow the engine to warm up enough, then engage the trans to warm up as well. The 416 doesn't have this, I suspect that they felt that the BIG Onan had enough power even when cold. :D

T-Mo

Okay, that makes sense, I guess. Still learning here about Wheel Horses.

nylyon

If it's the same as the 120, look through the gap between the left fender and the frame about midway down you should see a slotted pin. That is the tow valve. The Eaton's don't have a tow valve. We need to push it with the motion control all the way forward. Guess the internals aren't as tight as the Sundstrands.

T-Mo

Here's what the manual says:

"....The valve is located....and inboard of the left rear wheel on C-series tractors. To operate the valve, follow the instructions on the "push valve" decal. The valve has a square head and can be opened or closed with a wrench...."

The picture showing this is very poor, almost black without any detail showing at all. I'm thinking about sending Toro a little note stating that they need to provide better quality reprints as this one can not be read.

T-Mo

So far I don't see the valve - too much grime. But I'm going to the car wash after work today and I'll be going over the tractor pretty good. Then I should be able to see more of this valve. BTW, does anyone have a picture of the "Tow Valve Decal"? Mine is not only painted over but it's also been rubbed out from operators' shoes (it's located either on the footrest or just above it on the fender pan).

T-Mo

I found this on ebay - it's the same as the manual Toro sent me for $2. Notice the "Best Copy Available" in red on the front.

b70f_1_b.jpg

This guy wants $7 for what you can get from Toro for $2.

B, C, & D Owner's Manual

T-Mo

Okay, I found fairly good picture in the B, C, & D service manual of the push valve. I still need the decal instructions as both the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual states to follow these decal instructions:

push-valve.jpg

Curmudgeon

Now I"m pretty sure the B,C,D manual is available as a free download from Toro, and the quality is quite good.

I spent a few hours downloading it one day! Dial up users beware.... LOL

Dale

T-Mo

Yes, the B, C, & D Service Manual is available for downloading which I did and it's where I pulled the one picture from. Unfortunately the Owners's manual isn't available for downloading, but it is available for purchasing. The quality, though, on the Owner's Manual is very poor.

T-Mo

Ah, okay! Have you checked the manuals group on Yahoo? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/ Some very good people have put a lot of work into making good manuals accessible for free.

Dale

Yes, I have. And I didn't see any that would cover the C-141, but it's worth a look again. Thanks.

nylyon

If the decal on yours is the same as my c-120, I'll gladly take a picture for you ad post it here.

T-Mo

If the decal on yours is the same as my c-120, I'll gladly take a picture for you ad post it here.

I'm not sure if they're the same, but I would still appreciate it just in case. Thanks.

nylyon

I'll get that picture first thing tomorrow morning. I was thinking of mowing the back 40 with it, just love driving that machine for some reason.

nylyon

Here is a picture of the C-120 push decal. Hope it helps....

pushdecal.JPG

T-Mo

Thanks, that helps a little. I've finally located what I think is the tow valve. It looks like getting to it isn't going to be easy. There isn't an opening like your C-120 has to get to it, it looks like one can get to it in front of the left rear wheel. And I remember reading it takes a 5/15 open end wrench to turn it, but your decal shows me which direction to open it and how much to turn it. I would think that would be the same.