Sign in to follow this  
dobeleo

312-A Eaton Question

dobeleo

I have an 1986 312-A tractor that I got from my brother 10 years ago, I finally took it apart and am going to rebuild and repaint it.

In the early 90's my brother said it quit rolling forward, my brother not being the most mechanically inclined guy couldnt explain the problem to me any further.

The tractor has an Eaton Model #7 pump/motor on it. The way the tractor is built, I cant beleive he wrecked the pump. Are there rebuild kits for these pumps? do the Check / bypass valves go bad? Should I just change the fluid and put it back on the rear end?

I am familiar with roller pumps, any comments and reccomendations would be appreciated.

refracman

Of the 2 Eatons used the 700 was the weaker of the 2. If ran low on fluid it could be toast and with it being a sealed system(pump only) there is no real way to change the fluid. Its rather easy to remove and replace if you can find one. Another alternative is to find a eaton 1100 with hydro lift from a similar year tractor and upgrade your tractor.

I did get in a 518 where the bolt holding the drive gear on the pump broke, could be that also.

As for rebuilding dont know if you can or not :thumbs:

floor-it

Another alternative is to find a eaton 1100 with hydro lift from a similar year tractor and upgrade your tractor.

I did get in a 518 where the bolt holding the drive gear on the pump broke, could be that also.

I also have a 518H and would like to upgrade it to the Eaton 1100 with Hydro-Lift.

Steve, were you able to simply bolt the 1100 Transmission into the Transaxle or did you have to install a complete transaxle and transmission? I thought that the bolt pattern was different!

Also, regarding the 312A, you can change the fluid, the drain plug is hard to get a wrench on, you will need a 11/16 box end wrench with a dog leg in it to get around the trans housing. I just changed my Eaton 7 fluid in the 518H. It will take about 1-2 hours to get the new fluid down into the transmission. Make sure the new fluid is warm it will flow a little faster. I inserted a large plastic straw into the trans where you add the fluid to help get the air bubbles up and out. Also, I simply used the straw to stir the fluid to help get the large air bubbles to rise up.

truckin88

make it an 8 speed and never look back!

refracman

Yes the Eaton 1100 trans is a direct bolt on. You will need to do alittle reseach on which tractor pump will interchange. I use Emparts, when you enter the part number it will give all the tracotrs it was used on. http://www.milacalawn.com/parts.asp

Click on the Parts box, then the parts tab, useing the manufacturer drop down select Toro Comsumer Equipment, enter part number of of the pump drive gear. (it does take a little bit for each screen to refresh).

I have doen this once before on a 516 and added the hyd.lift with no problems,. the parts where from a 520

It might be easier for you to obtain a complete rearend depending on your location.

dobeleo

I pulled the eaton pump/motor apart and it was clean, probably explains why it wasnt working, lol, no shavings or anything, the balls were free moving, so I put it back together, cleaned it up, ready to primer and paint!

dobeleo

This is a Model 312-A 1966 Tractor, it has an Eaton Model 7 pump. I am putting everything back together, figured Id add the oil before I put the fittings on.

What kind of oil do i use?

Have all the manuals, having a brain cramp finding the type of oil

Thanks

Dan

Attached Image

post-74-1266020423.jpg