Sign in to follow this  
Dresden Guy

Has anyone restored by Powder Coating??

Dresden Guy

I am very soon starting a restore of my C-160 and would like to know if anyone has done their own powder coating to finish parts? I am pretty sure this is the same technology that automakers use for flawless finishes. I am inserting this link to an article and would like to get your feedback and suggestions. Options of course range from paintbrushing, :banghead: rattle-cans, <_< , Restoration Paints, (e.g. Valspar) :wwp:, MAACO, :WRS: DIY Powder coating :thumbs: or a Professional Powder Coater.

DIY Powder Coating Finish

Dresden Guy (Steve M in Ohio)

----------------------------------------------

C-160 (61-16K802)

42"SD mower

42" Snow blade

211-5 (32-11BX02)

38" SD mower

chris11

power coating is very hard. you have to plug every hole that has treads.When it chips you will have to strip the stuff. and that a job by itself. and you cant use any filler. so if the parts have pits in them they will after the powercoat.

rickv1957

I would stick to paint myself,Rick

nylyon

Search this forum, someone here did powder coat and it looked great.

buckrancher

. and you cant use any filler. so if the parts have pits in them they will after the powercoat.

you can use a high temp. metal filler they sell at fastenal under power coat

but the suff is a bear to sand

:thumbs:

chris11

. and you cant use any filler. so if the parts have pits in them they will after the powercoat.

you can use a high temp. metal filler they sell at fastenal under power coat

but the suff is a bear to sand

:thumbs:

I didnt no that cool. I still think you get a better deep shine with paint. But thats just me.

VinsRJ

I prefer to powder coat items that are high ware items such as the wheels and seat (RJ style seat). Paint just seams to chip and scuff too easy on those parts.

As for final finish, there is a HUGE difference between home oven baked powder coat and a professional job. As with all finishing projects, metal prep is the most important part and the quality of the powders being used is also a big factor. There are number of powder manufactures which make a product that gives you the deep luster of a urethane paint job and provides you with the ability to wet sand and buff the final surface.

The biggest draw back to powder coat is the inability, or should I say difficulty, to dial the metal in. What I mean is, there are a number of high temp fillers which can be powder coated over but, from my experiences they are difficult to work with and never really come out just the way you want. So the pitting and waviness of the metal needs to be addressed prior to setting off on the powder coating path.

BadDad

Hello Donnie here. I did an 855 wheelhorse & it was all powder coated. I like the way it turnout. I have done others with spray paint in a can, and they didn't last very long, look good at 1st. You can see the restoration of my 855 at this link. It will take you threw the entire job. Good luck on your restore.

My Webpage

Audioshot

We have a powder coating department in one of the buildings at work for heavy truck rims and I was thinking about pushing some parts through it. But, the closest color would be fire engine red. Also, one of the earlier posters was correct with the pits and divots showing up even more after the process.

Attached Image

post-70-1265282535.jpg

Operator

I did partial PC on a WH trailer, PC'd the box and gate [professionally] then spray gunned the tongue and under parts. I did it to see how close I could match up the two different styles of painting. Worked great! I had to do a match from Powder to get the right spray paint, plus I had to buy a gallon of "my" paint. Got spendy!

Randy

DoctorHfuhruhurr

The Science Channel had a show called "Some Assembly Required" where they went into a John Deere riding mower plant which showed how they use powder coat on theirs.