Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

Slow reverse

Shuboxlover

The reverse in my C-160 auto seems to be a bit slow.

A couple times it has seemed normal, but the rest of the time driving it around seems slow.

I read in the manual how to adjust the neutral adjustment and the friction adjustment, will adjusting these fix the problem or is there another adjustment I am missing?

rickv1957

It is possible that the plastic cam that operates trans motion lever is worn,Rick

Shuboxlover

I looked at the friction adjustment in the manual, I loosened the lock nut, but i don't understand what to do after that. I see nothing to turn or adjust on that shaft.

rickv1957

Doesnt sound like you are getting full travel from hand lever to trans arm,Rick

TT

You do know that reverse on these hydros is much slower than forward, right?

The friction adjustment on the DCL (direction control lever) has absolutely nothing to do with travel speed. It only keeps the DCL in the operator-selected position.

The only other adjustment is for neutral and is done through the eccentric cam pin on the pump lever.

The nylon cam is the white-colored piece that slides up and down when the DCL is moved. As Rick almost said, the slot in the back side where the cam pin rides will wear and need replaced on occasion. They also wear at the hole in the front where the ball stud on the DCL connects. If there is enough wear, the range of motion decreases and you will not have full speed in one or both directions. Sometimes the steel ball will wear too, and can actually pop out of the hole in the cam.

Another possibility would be a sticking acceleration valve within the hydro unit. Once you get the oil changed and run it for a while it might actually begin to work better - depending on how long it's been since it was used regularly.

TT

I just remembered you had posted earlier about the brake pedal falling down on this tractor. Did you ever get that fixed?

That doesn't help when you're trying to move the DCL - unless you tie the pedal in the upright position.

Shuboxlover

When I do put it in full Forward/Reverse position, the pedal comes up a bit, not much but it does come up, when I step on the pedal when moving, it does stop the tractor. I guess the real question is....How much travel is there supposed to be with this brake pedal?

Is there anything I can do to determine if my pieces are worn out in respect to the whole reverse thing. Like I said before, this is my first hydro ever and have absolutely nothing to base any of my findings on.

I do realize that this will move ALOT slower in reverse, but I am talking about maybe moving 1-2 feet per second at full throttle and full reverse position.

Brrly1

Broken Acceleration springs possibly? Never hurts to check. See Ya, Bye

Burly

:thumbs:

TT

When I do put it in full Forward/Reverse position, the pedal comes up a bit, not much but it does come up, when I step on the pedal when moving, it does stop the tractor. I guess the real question is....How much travel is there supposed to be with this brake pedal?

This might sound odd, but the brake pedal on your tractor is not for the brakes. Your tractor doesn't actually have brakes, so the function of the brake pedal is to return the DCL to neutral.

If the pedal is partially down, it won't allow the DCL to move as far as it should. Pull the pedal up and secure it and then see if reverse is faster. (I thought you said it sometimes goes faster than other times)

The pedal return spring is down inside the "center console" portion of the hoodstand and is a real bastard to access when everything is assembled.

Here's a few pictures I used in a much earlier post:

071209004.jpg

071209007-1.jpg

Shuboxlover

I am missing the spring.....I do have the bolt you show in your picture.

Is this a special spring, does anyone have the dimensions of the spring so I can pick up a generic one in town. How stiff is the spring, a picture would help.

Thanks

refracman

Like TT said it is not truly a brake pedal but returns the hydro to center position.

I have run hydro tractors with the spring broke for years and it does not affect and or cause the problem you are describing. Either check for debris not allowing the actuator on the pump full motion or check for accelerator spring failure.

My opinion is the smaller accelerator sping has failed which is not uncommon.

Refer to manual it has a great cause /effect and how to repair sections.