Sign in to follow this  
squonk

What model?

squonk

Buddy of mine just picked up this horse today. I'm thinkin it might be a late 50's RJ but I'll leave it to the experts to determine. :thumbs: I think he wants to put a flathead in it. :WRS::banghead:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=28409...&disp=inline&zw

rustynut

we need pics

Indy w h

Don't think your link thingy is working???

Indy

squonk

I click on the link and it works. Maybe I'll have to try a different way.

Indy w h

I click on it and it asks for password

squonk

Stupid G-mail. I'll try this:

oldwheelhorse002.jpg

oldwheelhorse001.jpg

rickv1957

Looks like a well restorable tractor!,Rick

C-Series14

I am not an expert on the old ones but I do know it is 1960 and up (axle) and has a heck of a bullet hole in the grill!!! :thumbs:

TT

1961 401

Kelly

It kinda looks like a 551 or a 501 I even see a tucky in the corner of one picture

captjake

Is there a square hole or a round hole directly bellow the steering wheel. Square 1960, round 1961.

TT

1961 401

Final answer.

linen beige

1961 401

Final answer.

:thumbs:

Now here's a few reasons why.

1. Front axle narrows it to '60 or '61.

2. Hood side decals narrow it to '61.

3. Transmission and hood stand narrow it to 401.

4. NOTHING points to any other year or model.

tgranthamfd

Is the oval hole on the bottom of the hood stand why you guys are saying 401, and what is said hole for?

squonk

Since it's a 401, what motor would have been in it? A 4 HP Clinton maybe?

TT

It has a cast iron clutch/brake pedal (and the obvious 1961 decals - but hoods can be changed) A 1960 400/550 would have a strap-steel ("bar stock") pedal.

The oval hole at the bottom of the hood stand appears to be a means of speeding up assembly. (so whoever was placing the stampings in the jig for the next operation wouldn't have to worry about "top or bottom?" along with "front or back?".

It amazing how one little thing like that will speed production when doing "piece work". :thumbs:

The engine should have been a K91T (4hp) retractable start Kohler. (99.99% chance)

evanloock

The oval hole at the bottom is for the 1961 push/pull throttle/choke cables to pass through the hoodstand back to the engine. The cables for 1961 were longer than the small bowden wire/cable used in 1960 with the lever-style throttle/choke assembly and the placement of the 1961 cables placed their routing ahead of the hoodstand, thus requiring the change.

TT

Thanks, Eric. (told you guys I learn something new everyday on here :banghead: )

That hole does look an awful lot like the one the upper steering bushing is welded through, so maybe my theory isn't a total bunch of manure. :thumbs:

My old 401 had a 5hp Briggs on it, so I never got to see the "real" cable routing arrangement.

linen beige

Is the oval hole on the bottom of the hood stand why you guys are saying 401, and what is said hole for?

The main reason I said hood stand norrows it to a 401 is that in '61 the 401 was the only model that used this style. The other mid engine from '61, the 551, incorporated a battery holder into the hood stand.

The 551 also used the two piece cast iron tranny.

Aside from the decals being '61 the hood has a raised bead around the top of the "dash" this is a '61 trait.

tgranthamfd

The center body line from the gas cap opening to the sterring wheel area would, also, sugest 401. I didn't notice that before. The oval hole at the bottom of the hood stand is what I have never seen before. Bet what is there is original, too.

tgranthamfd

The oval hole at the bottom of the hood stand appears to be a means of speeding up assembly. (so whoever was placing the stampings in the jig for the next operation wouldn't have to worry about "top or bottom?" along with "front or back?".

Think you are on to something there TT. If you were to flip that one over, bottom to top, the hole below the exhaust pipe mount would be in the exact same spot as where the lift arm lock mounts.