Sign in to follow this  
jdwheelhorse

What Wheel Horse do I have?!

jdwheelhorse

Ok, from the title this may seem crazy but I cannot figure out what model or year my wheel horse is. I bought it from someone who painted it and made it look exactly like a john deere. Now i know everyone is gonna hate this but its not my fault so dont give me a hard time. Anyway, due to the deere green paint job there is no way of know what model it is. I asked them and they said they didnt know either. So from this picture can anyone help me out?

th.d139a1849a.jpg

Sparky

I dont see a hi/low shifter in that pic so I'm gonna say its a 1974 B-80 4speed.

Mike.........

jdwheelhorse

Ok. yes it is a 4 speed, I just couldnt find any pictures or models or anything that looked exactly like it. Thanks

rickv1957

A B80 would be my guess,Rick

stevasaurus

Is that the one that someone just posted on..."This is just wrong" thread? JD...it's OK...it is just paint. :thumbs:

Indy w h

It does look like a B-80

Indy

jdwheelhorse

Is that the one that someone just posted on..."This is just wrong" thread? JD...it's OK...it is just paint. :thumbs:

Hopefully not!

Haha, I knew I would take some crap for it, but the previous owner actually did a pretty good job on the paint, but eventually I will get the red/white scheme back on her. Looks funny with yellow wheels, green body, and rusty red plow.

stevasaurus

JD...was not trying to give you any crap :thumbs: Just wodering if it was the same horse.

jdwheelhorse

Nope not the same one. Here is a more recent picture with the plow.

th.71d5bccf9b.jpg

jdwheelhorse

Has anyone made something to make the plow lifting easier on the arm? or am I just weak? :thumbs: Also, my lifting lever wont lock in place when all the way raised, Anyone have a cure?

pbradley68

Is that an ID/Serial number tag I see on the left side of the tractor near the lift lever? (about 10 inches under the 214 sticker) If you post the numbers we'll know for sure what it is.

Lane Ranger

In your first photo looks like you may have the remnants of the old Wheel Horse metal tag on the left side of the tractor with the lift handle -under the 214.

If that is a wheel horse tag the model number may be still visible -metal punched into the tag.

It does look like a B-80 however!

:thumbs:

Sparky

Has anyone made something to make the plow lifting easier on the arm? or am I just weak? :thumbs: Also, my lifting lever wont lock in place when all the way raised, Anyone have a cure?

Is the plow frame hitting the front axle when you pull it up?

Mike..........

stevasaurus

JD...you are right...nice paint job...looks like a metal flake in the picture and not the same tractor as I was thinking...sorry. I got a feeling, when we are done finding them in the tree lines, we will be looking for the green ones. :thumbs:

Figured out what you are going to do yet?

jdwheelhorse

Is the plow frame hitting the front axle when you pull it up?

Mike..........

No, the handle comes all the way back to where it is supposed to lock into place and the pin or whatever isnt going into the notch.

jdwheelhorse

JD...you are right...nice paint job...looks like a metal flake in the picture and not the same tractor as I was thinking...sorry. I got a feeling, when we are done finding them in the tree lines, we will be looking for the green ones. :thumbs:

What do you mean?

what was I supposed to figure out.

Im confused

Duff

What do you mean?

what was I supposed to figure out.

Im confused

I think he's asking if you are going to rebuild, restore or just repaint your machine....he may not have seen your earlier post that eventually you're going to get it back to red and white colors. :banghead:

Duff :thumbs:

jdwheelhorse

OHHH ok, yeah I dont really know. Im still in highschool w/ limited money. I found the tractor for 100 bucks and have put around 80 in the plow and another 20 for things like fuel, fuel filter, oil and probably lights soon. As busy as I am, I will probably just paint the plow and maybe paint the tractor, but thats a chore.

wheelhorsec85

you have a b80 4 speed . 8 hp kohler engine a 4 speed tranny . perfect simple little machine . there could be 3 problems with your plow lifting set up . does the push pin in your handle move up and down freely when you push it ? if not lube it up . also how worn out is the latch on the side of your dash tower ? it has a adjuster knob on it . or when you lift the plow it is hitting the bottom side of your front axle . fix for that is make your lift rod or chain longer . you can call if you have anymore questions .

jdwheelhorse

The latch moves when I push the rod and I sprayed it with WD 40 but it wont lock into the notch where its supposed to.

HankB

The latch moves when I push the rod and I sprayed it with WD 40 but it wont lock into the notch where its supposed to.

It's been a while since I looked at something like that so I'm sort of shooting in the dark here...

Does the latch not fully engage or is it worn to the point that it slips out? It seems like you are facing one or the other. Can you see the latch to determine this? That will determine your course of action.

If the cause of the problem is not obvious, then you probably need to start taking things apart. There are a couple sources of manuals. One is the Yahoo Group wheelhorsemanuals (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals/) and another is the Toro web site. You can go to https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?...es&xCaller=Toro, plug in B-80 for product name and search. Pick one result (unless you know the specifics of your B-80, but in this case the lift mechanisms are probably all the same) and click through "View Assembly Drawings" to find "Lift Linkage." The picture is pretty small but it may help.

BTW, I think there are better penetrants than WD-40. And there are certainly better lubricants. I use PB Blaster as a penetrant and engine oil or spray white grease (Lithium grease IIRC) depending on the application. I would probably use the spray white grease for the lifting mechanism as it seems to be good at getting into places. It can be a bit messy, but I just wipe off the overspray and figure I'm getting a little rust protection. :thumbs: (Just be careful that you don't get overspray on belts though!)

I use WD-40 to clean parts before reuse. It seems to do a pretty good job of loosening crud. If I'm going to paint them, I follow with a water based degreaser like Simple Green. Otherwise I just let the remaining WD-40 dry. Again, I figure it will provide some rust protection.

Edit: back to the "hard to lift" question, make sure that the parts of the lift mechanism are lubricated and moving freely. Also look at the mechanism in that picture at the toro site. The part that has two arms sticking out of it at 90

rickv1957

Is the spring missing?,Rick

jdwheelhorse

Theres a spring? :thumbs:

If so it sure packed up and left before I got the tractor.

Indy w h

Is the spring missing?,Rick

I think what Rick was saying is that there is a spring inside the lift handle

that holds upward pressure on the lock rod that you push down with your

thumb. If that rod won't stay up it won't "lock" into the slot on the side of

your hood stand.

Indy