Sign in to follow this  
stevasaurus

unidrive help 5025

stevasaurus

Seems to be a rash of transmissions going bad, been reading posts for the last few days. I haven't seen anything like what I got, so I am throwing this out there knowing I will have to tear it apart this next week...getting a January thaw. :lol:

Started up my 702 with a 5025 trans a few days ago, was letting it warm up when I heard a couple of pops, like taking a submarine down below chrash depth, and a bolt pops out of it's place and cravases across the room. :banghead: I shut it down, removed the snow blade and put it on the 857. :wwp: But, what happend to the 702 is ...it was running, in nuetral, and it was like something in the trans jammed and it actually killed the engine. It will crank, but the friction is enough to kill the engine.

Couple of questions...can I get parts (don't know what is wrong yet) in general? Does anyone have a 5025 trans in the Ill, Minn, Ind, Mich, Wisc area that has a parts trans that I could pick up at a show?

I have a 502 that I can switch the transmissions on to get through the winter...but when I pulled a manual off the Yahoo grp site, it looks like the 5053 trans is interchangeable...is this true? I ask because my 857 has the 5053 trans, and it would open up a range of options. :WRS:

Thanks for any insight be fore I really check into it. :thumbs:

clintonnut

If the trans is completely destroyed I have a rebuilt one with a 1962 cast date for $250.

$50 dollar core charge.

Will be coming out that way in the end of march-april.

Charlie

Coadster32

Maybe it was all of the endless sidewalk plowing in second gear you posted. :thumbs::banghead: (sorry, couldn't resist)

stevasaurus

Chris...I deserved that :thumbs: Going to tear it off today and have a look. :banghead:

Indy w h

Maybe it was too much Rock-N-Rye??? :banghead: (sorry)

Steve I really enjoyed the chat the other day (only 3 hrs)

good talking too ya :thumbs: hope ya get the tranny fixed!!!

Indy

stevasaurus

I tore the trans apart today, and I am glad I did not try to run it any more.

702transmission001.jpg

702transmission002.jpg

I do not have a vice large enough to hold the trans, so I tried sitting it in the rear tire rim. Works pretty good...it is stable, and I can just turn the tire to rotate the trans. B)

702transmission003.jpg

702transmission004-1.jpg

I do not see any damage to the gears...lucky...but I will need to replace the seals and bearings. In this last picture, you can see the little ball bearings from the axle bearing sitting on the large gear.

702transmission005.jpg

Charlie, do you know if I can get these parts...and if things don't go right...when are you coming out this way? Do you have a date yet?

Any help finding parts for this #5025 trans is greatly appreciated. :party:

Coadster32

Steve, good idea with the tire mount. The gears all look to be in good condition. The yuck color in there is from previous water getting in the case. It might have locked up because of a loose ball jamming up the gears. Seals and bearings are avail. from Napa, and Kaman. Others have other sourses also. Dig into other posts, and you shall find. Good luck. You have a great start.

Lane Ranger

Steve: Good closeups of the trans.

In your second and fourth photo it also looks like you have the rod/pin from the shifting forks sitting on top the big gear. Nort sure about the bearing for that transmission. That is the big one that goes in the axle housing you ae looking for right?

Kerosene is a good cleaning substance for those gears also!

rickv1957

Steve,get me some part numbers and I will look in my goodies,Rick

sorekiwi

That brown goop is gear oil with some water mixed in... The good news is that there was still a fair amount of oil in the mix. I have had transmissions where it was all just crystal clear water - all the oil had been "floated" out past the seals.

All the bearings are available through bearing houses except those 2 ball bearings each side of the diff (which you need at least one of). I forget the part #, but it is a special bearing only available thru Toro, and they're about $60 apiece :party: .

The other thing that is puzzling is what went wrong. That ball bearing doesnt turn when the tractor is sitting there warming up - it only turns when the tractor is moving. It may have been badly worn and come apart during disassembly.

But what went bang while it was sitting there idling? Where did the bolt come from that went flying across the room? I suspect that you might have another issue somewhere, buried under that thick coffee goop. B)

Duff

Steve and others without a big azz vise, here's an idea. When I tore down my tranny I set it in a Black & Decker Workmate (one of those adjustable work bench thingies). I let the axle housing pass down between the two halves of the top and put a block under the front of the tranny to level it, then tightened down on the axle housing. Worked slick!

I, too, am waiting to hear where the mystery flying shrapnel bolt came from! :party:

Duff B)

clintonnut

When I rebuild trannies I take apart those two ball bearings, polish the races and put new 1/4" balls in.

You can upgrade to the later needle bearing type with the bushing on the differential.

Charlie

tgranthamfd

I have a copy of the transmission manuals, but it is a 59 page pdf file. I got it from Mike (mikesrj), you could probably find it on his website. It covers all tranny's 5003 - 5058 I think. B) Looks to be in decent shape through all the muck. Good luck. :party:

stevasaurus

I cleaned out the trans today...what a nasty labor of love. All the gears were fine, no teeth missing or chipped. Both axle ball bearings are shot and I accounted for all 24 balls. (12 in each bearing) Two of the balls got lodged in the differential and had it locked up, but a little back and forth and the balls fell out. those bearings getting shot around the housing is the noise I was hearing. Also, the needle bearing on the drive wheel shaft was damaged and needles were all over the casing.

I still don't know about the mystery bolt...nothing seems to be missing. B)

702transmission006-1.jpg

702transmission006-1.jpg

Waiting for parts...got the manual from MikeRJ (thanks) and Rickv1957 has some of the bearings for me. (thanks also) :party:

rickv1957

Steve,good luck with your tranny,your parts will ship Thurs AM,thanks Rick

MikesRJ

I just love the smell of 40+ y/o gear oil! B)

JimD

Hang in there Steve, you'll get her back up and running, just be careful not to hurt yourself, the price of bubble wrap just went up. B)

Suburban 550

Good Luck with the fix, Steve. :party: Just be careful, since we all know how you are prone to injuring yourself. B) Since your retirement, you are really becoming a master mechanic on these tractors. :clap:

B-8074

Just rebuilt the one for my B-80. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. And mine also looked like a chocolate milkshake inside to. B) Have fun.

dclarke

you'll have it running in no time steve. water sure plays havoc in these tough little trannys that's for sure. good luck.

stevasaurus

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Just ordered the ball bearings and seals from TORO... :party: I might have to go back to work. B)

tgranthamfd

I haven't had the pleasure of doing one of these, yet, but from what I have read the only issues that give some grief is with the springs and check balls. If you downloaded the big pdf. Manuel it should have good step by step with pictures and different things to check. Shouldn't be to awful bad. Good luck.

tgranthamfd

BTW what was the part # on the expensive bearing???

CasualObserver

Just ordered the ball bearings and seals from TORO... :clap: I might have to go back to work. B)

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy another tractor! :party::hbd:

You can do it Steve. Nothing to it.

pfrederi

BTW what was the part # on the expensive bearing???

The $60+ axle bearing is 1533 and believe me many have searched but no one has found a source other than Toro.