Sign in to follow this  
truckin88

KT17 choking...again

truckin88

So I tried to plow with my C-175, it was a beast, I did 4 passes of the driveway...it was running awesome right out of the garage....but then it started choking and shut off....started right back up, went into the garage was running ruff, but it kept running. I rebuilt the carb a month ago, it was running good (only put .2 hours on it). The fuel pump was pumping good into a cup when we did it, no leaks, oil is full.Maybe a needle adjustment???

rickv1957

Is carb freezing up? Rick

wildman

Maybe points or water in the fuel tank!

truckin88

snow was done flying, about 38 degrees out? what would cause the carb to freezed, I don't think water in the gas, hope the point didn't get water on them....it sounded like it was choking will retry tomorrow.

bitten

Did you try to seal the points? Is your gas line were it is supposed to be? Might be vapor locking. I can see were the exhaust in the front of the engine in the winter time would come in handi.

truckin88

didn't seal the points....can you explain? Will be hitting the, just found where they were on the KT,will hit them with WD 40. The snow was flying up off the tires. Like I said it ran great for about 10 minutes, then it was like it was choking.I bet it is something eletrical casue I adjusted one of the needles on the carb and saw little to no change, so set it back. Thanks for the help guys

stevebo

Will,

He is saying to make sure you seal the points with a gasket/silicone to ensure they do not get wet.

wheelhorsec85

Is carb freezing up? Rick

yes your carb is freezing up . you have to turn your air filter housing tube to the exhaust , where is will get warm air from the exhaust to keep your carb from freezing . right now you are getting cold air from your flywheel and that is freezing your carb :thumbs:

stevebo

Will,

Jeff is a guy that knows these machine well.

pfrederi

Probably a carb icing issue as indicated. Used my C175 yesterday with out any problem like that. Just lucky I guess.

As a side note on the points there is a tiny vent hole in the cover make sure it is on the lower side....Was using my C175 with the blower 2 years ago and she stopped. Blowing snow had gotten on the engine melted from the heat and got in that tiny little hole shorting out the points. The hole was facing up

The hole is on one of the long sides of the cover unlike the covers on the single Kohlers where its on the short side

truckin88

yes your carb is freezing up . you have to turn your air filter housing tube to the exhaust , where is will get warm air from the exhaust to keep your carb from freezing . right now you are getting cold air from your flywheel and that is freezing your carb :thumbs:

All,

Ran it this morning in the garage for about 5 minutes, ran great, looks at it with my brother and we saw mositure around the points cover, so I will spray with WD40 and gasket it.

Jeff,

I read in the manual about the anti icing...this has a tear drop air cleaner, was you do it with these as well, because I was reading and they showed examples with the other style (round cleaner).

It definately sounded like the card was choking, but I am going to fix the points while I am in there.

Thanks Guys,

Will

TT

Like I said it ran great for about 10 minutes, then it was like it was choking.

Did you see any black smoke out of the exhaust? :thumbs:

truckin88

Did you see any black smoke out of the exhaust? :thumbs:

none, it just cut/choked out. then when restarted yesterday was running rough. It has fresh 10-W30 in it and new plugs....it ran in the garage this morning fine, it stays in the garage, when not used.....also oil was full and clean this morning

truckin88

WD on the points' letting it dry, then I will seal it up...put a little heet in the gas...any other ideas?

Can you swivle a tear drop air cleaner?

baerpath

I think I would check the plug wires. Have you got any you can change out with ?

Sounds like a cub we used to use for snowblowing. when the wires got wet from melting snow it crapped out, when they dried it ran great.

Duane

truckin88

guys big thanks, WD and made a gasket with rtv for the points, ran it outside yesterday for about 30 minutes, it was cold too, with heet in gas was fine, still looking at the air intake if it can be moved to warming. It ran smooth all the way through the throttle, so I would say carb adjustment is fine. Looks like it was the points.

Duane,

No extra wires, but they look like the original, so it is time to change, $15.00 at napa, so those will be going on tomorrow, just cause it is a good idea.

stevebo

Will,

Good to hear you have it running well. I knew it would be something small like that. Happy plowing. Make sure to post pics of the cab mounted on it !!