Sign in to follow this  
rockbuilt

log splitter

rockbuilt

has anyone ever herd of a unicorn log splitter and did wheel horse have one?

evanloock

They were offered by a 3rd party manufacturer for Wheel Horse and many other garden tractor makes in the 60's/70's.

Confused99

I think there was one on our local craigslist this summer that the owner said fit a WH.

I seen something like this at the MN State Fair mounted to a Bobcat.

Jason

HorseFixer

Pretty neat rig! So simple yet practical! :thumbs:

Lane Ranger

My father, Clifton Ralph (who is a retired industrial blacksmith) has a unicorn logsplitter welded to a Wheel Horse 1054 rear wheel hub.

He had a large storm at his place that knocked down several old oak trees in 2009. He wanted to get the logsplitter going in the Fall we just didn't get it done.

We will start this project in the Spring of 2009 and I will post video at that time.

Here is a photo of his workbench with the unicorn on it:

102_6488.jpg

Here is a close-up of the unicorn logsplitter before the 1054 wheel hub was attached:

102_64881.jpg

My father will be demonstrating at the Indiana Blacksmith's Assocaition Annual Conference in Tipton, Indiana at the county fairgrounds June 25th thru June 27th.

Blacksmiths around the country have groups and assocaitions in almost every state and they get together for what they call "hammer ins" to show different techniques ,processes and geneal BS'ing. It is kind of like the Wheel Horse regional shows!

http://www.indianablacksmithing.org/

Here is a flyer announcing the 2010 IBA conference. Clifton Ralph will be demonstrating.

http://www.indianablacksmithing.org/2010IBAConference.pdf

rwilson

Looks like a good way to do it. Better hope you dont fall down on it. it would screw it way fight into your head. :thumbs:

Coadster32

Do you guys think a Charger12 would be able to handle this load off of the PTO? Geared down of course. :thumbs: Perhaps off the rear hub of a 854?

HorseFixer

Here is a photo of his workbench with the unicorn on it:

102_6488.jpg

Lane, WoW ta hell with the Unicorn! I'm Diggin that workbench! Slots for hold down clamps and everything! :banghead: Nothing like Industrial Strength I Beams for the Base! :thumbs:

rickv1957

Thats quite a splitter there!,Rick

Indy w h

I'd give it a try!! Looks faster than the hydro splitters

Indy

Lane Ranger

:thumbs: Duke:

Take a good look at the top of that bench. It is thick steel with slots running through the top.

It is a flat surafce for sure. We have placed a lot of wheel horse mower decks, transmission cases, and every other thing you can think of on it. You can weld, pound, paint, etc.

You can pound out a bearing wihtout worrying on this bench.

Here is another shot of the garage/shop/bench from the December 2010 Indiana

Blacksmith's Assocaiton calendar!

http://www.indianablacksmithing.org/December.pdf

Cody

There was a gentleman at the 2009 wheel horse show who was selling a unicorn log splitter for a wheel horse.

Lane Ranger

More on spiral cone or Unicorn type log splitters...

The Stickler

http://www.thestickler.com/

Hands Free Log Splitter

http://www.usprideproducts.com/

Thackery Unicorn Log splitter on Gravely

Bark Buster Wood Splitter

The Bark Buster Wood Splitter was a screw type wood splitter that first came on the market in the 1970's. These splitters came in two different models - some attached to a PTO (power take-off) drive on a tractor or truck, while others were simply individual units powered by gas.

In 1991, the federal government placed a recall on Bark Buster brand log splitters. The Consumer Protection Safety Commission warned people against using this product, as they had found it to be very dangerous after investigating customer claims. Models from up until the 1998 version were all considered unsafe, with the potential to cause serious injuries to a persons arms, hands, fingers or legs. At the time of the report Bark Busters had caused four major injuries and one death. Since then, these wood splitters are no longer made - though other brands of auger-type log splitters do exist.

They were considered unsafe because of three key features that were missing. The first was that there was no easily accessible power switch. Along the same lines, the bark buster had no kill switch or "dead man's switch" that could be used to turn off the device in case of an emergency. Finally, the wood splitter didn't have an effective guard to help protect people's bodies from the dangerous auger, which led to people's clothing getting caught.

It's important to learn a lesson from the Bark Buster. If your going to use and auger-type wood splitter or log splitter, be sure that at the very least it contains basic safety functions. It is a powerful tool and deserving of respect and care - anything less can be injurious or fatal.

See more blogs in Central Point, OR WoodSplittersDirect.com Blog

WheelHorse_of_course

An excellent point on safety.

I suspect the fact it is so simple and easy to understand causes people to forget how dangerous is it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL :banghead: :thumbs:

rockbuilt

I NEED!! one

If I were mounting one I think I would mount it to a plate and attach to the wheel as you would wheel weights.

I would like to find a complete unit I saw a pic of one on a cub and it had the lift for the tires and a slide for the logs

pbradley68

More on spiral cone or Unicorn type log splitters...

The Stickler

http://www.thestickler.com/

Hands Free Log Splitter

http://www.usprideproducts.com/

Thackery Unicorn Log splitter on Gravely

Bark Buster Wood Splitter

The Bark Buster Wood Splitter was a screw type wood splitter that first came on the market in the 1970's. These splitters came in two different models - some attached to a PTO (power take-off) drive on a tractor or truck, while others were simply individual units powered by gas.

In 1991, the federal government placed a recall on Bark Buster brand log splitters. The Consumer Protection Safety Commission warned people against using this product, as they had found it to be very dangerous after investigating customer claims. Models from up until the 1998 version were all considered unsafe, with the potential to cause serious injuries to a persons arms, hands, fingers or legs. At the time of the report Bark Busters had caused four major injuries and one death. Since then, these wood splitters are no longer made - though other brands of auger-type log splitters do exist.

They were considered unsafe because of three key features that were missing. The first was that there was no easily accessible power switch. Along the same lines, the bark buster had no kill switch or "dead man's switch" that could be used to turn off the device in case of an emergency. Finally, the wood splitter didn't have an effective guard to help protect people's bodies from the dangerous auger, which led to people's clothing getting caught.

It's important to learn a lesson from the Bark Buster. If your going to use and auger-type wood splitter or log splitter, be sure that at the very least it contains basic safety functions. It is a powerful tool and deserving of respect and care - anything less can be injurious or fatal.

See more blogs in Central Point, OR WoodSplittersDirect.com Blog

Another complaint was if you hit a large knot it could knock your vehicle off the jacks. Gloves would get snagged also and it was known to amputate fingers, hands and arms.

:thumbs:

Coadster32

I just put a bid in on the stickler. I think using my truck would be a better bet than the tractor. I've been looking for a splitter for a while w/o the big cost, and the maint. behind it. This looks like the ticket at under $300. (It can fit under your bed for easy storage also) :thumbs: I only need a splitter every other year, and aren't interested in renting it out. (Get it back all beat up, just to recoup some money in return). It does seem like one of those too good to be true things though. Impressive video showing. Not too concerned about the danger part, as anything CAN be dangerous without respect.

bitten

When I was around 10 we had one for a very short time. I was allowed to use the chain saw but not this splitter. It seems like a lot of men walking around with a limp.

KC9KAS

You sure wouldn't want to wear loose fitting clothing! That thing get a-hold of your pants, :thumbs: and you would be in a world of deep hurt!

As a firefighter in a rural area we see "farming" accidents like PTO post hole diggers with body parts wrapped around them...this splitter could do the same damage!

rockbuilt

You sure wouldn't want to wear loose fitting clothing! That thing get a-hold of your pants, :thumbs: and you would be in a world of deep hurt!

As a firefighter in a rural area we see "farming" accidents like PTO post hole diggers with body parts wrapped around them...this splitter could do the same damage!

I am a fire fighter in Baltimore City and have seen a lot myself but I am not scared, Half the battle is knowing the risk and respecting the equipment. I do like the one that goes on the 3 point hitch better and it looks a lot more safe to use I would like one for my D250 I don't split a lot of wood (pellets are already small enough). I would like one for the wood I do split over in the field and I promise to be careful. Thanks for the caution