Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

KT17s

bo dawg

I have the chance of buying a nice restored C-175 early 80's with the original KT17s motor off my father nlaw. :WRS:

Should I take the chance with the engine being the 1st series?

I've heard a few bad stories about them so I'm concerned. :notworthy:

It has always ran great since he owned it. Tractor was restored about 5 or so years ago and I don't know if engine was worked on other than tuning and adjusting.

I started it the other day and it had some smoke on start up but cleared up with in a few seconds. He never used it at all this year it just sat in the barn, but the 3 or 4 previous years he used it to mow regularly. He bought a 520 and used it for this 09 season.

He wants $500 for it. I've always wanted it, but guess I never realized it was the KT17. What do you guy's think? :thumbs:

baerpath

He wants $500 for it. I've always wanted it, but guess I never realized it was the KT17. What do you guy's think? :thumbs:

Grab it and run :)

You kind of answered your own question. An old Kohler is still better than a new Onan :WRS:

If it was closer I'd be after it, wait it's only 12 hrs each way :notworthy:

Duane

bo dawg

Right.... but I heard about the lube trouble with the engines and thats why Kohler came out with a #2 series.

rickv1957

I would grab it!!,Rick

baerpath

Right.... but I heard about the lube trouble with the engines and thats why Kohler came out with a #2 series.

Yup I've heard that also. Everyones got their gripe about any brand/type of engine.

Theres a ton of KT 1's out there in all brands of stuff not just tractors. I don't agree with the oh no a KT 1 bunk. So some had a problem most didn't. Same with the magnums and series 2's some had problems most didn't.

Why worry about it ? If you like the tractor get it Don't let some gossip scare you from a very good engine.

Just my 2 cents

Duane

truckin88

you can always swap with a single if the kt goes....and just check fluid levels, all horror stories, involve running low on oil or flipping the machines etc.

pfrederi

There are alot of blown KT17 series out there...Bough one and saw another one. However, if you F-I-L took reasonabel care of the unit (maintaining oil level) and didn't mow a yard with steep hills then she should soldier on for a long time.

I am running a used KT-17 from a JD in my C-175 (bought with blown motor). The engine probably has around 2000 hours. My brother used the motor for many years but he is fanatical about oil and has a fairly level lot....

baerpath

There are alot of blown KT17 series out there...Bough one and saw another one. However, if you F-I-L took reasonabel care of the unit (maintaining oil level) and didn't mow a yard with steep hills then she should soldier on for a long time.

If there close to me I'd be interested in them No matter the condition

Duane

Jim_M

Bo,

The series one engines don't oil well if you run them on a slope. The oil runs away from the pickup and starves the engine of oil. I don't remember anymore which side the pick up is on. You're safe running one direction on a slope but not the other, if that makes sense.

You can safely run an extra pint of oil in them. An old time Kohler mechanic told me he used to add a pint of oil and stamp a new full mark on the dipstick of every brand new KT that he sold and he never got one back with a problem as long as they took care of it.

Jim

mnWHfan

Bo,

I just rebuilt the KT17 Series 1 in my parents C175 last year because the oil use was excessive. However, this mower was used to mow 2.5 acres of grass once a week, for about six months a year, for about 26 years. My parents property has some steep slopes along their driveway and the road (approximately 45 degrees). The wear on the engine was really uniform and the machine shop was almost able to get away with going .003 oversized. Just to make sure, we ended up going .010 oversized instead. The engine runs like new now and seems to have a lot of power. C175's are a great tractor to work with, so I would grab it if I was you.

Dennis

bo dawg

I appreciate all of you for the comments :thumbs:

I kinda felt that way myself but thought I would get you guy's 2 cents worth.

I am trying to get the money up to give him for it. He will wait a little while for it but not to long. Although it is in my posession :notworthy:

bo dawg

Just to add... is any one interested in buying my 68 Charger 9 auto? make an offer.

I had it in the forsale post back in the fall. Let me know if any interest, I'm just trying to put some cash together to buy the C-175.

porkchop

Hey Bo if you don,t want it I do. Let me know.

:notworthy: