Sign in to follow this  
mikeR

Bad PTO switch?

mikeR

Have a C-175. Started shutting off when I throw the PTO all the way forward; back off rapidly and engine cuts in again. It's not the mower or tiller engaging; I can throw the lever far enough forward that the blades are spinning fine- it's the last 1/2 inch of throw that does it. Is the PTO switch normally open, and closes when the pto is thrown, or normally closed? Any replacement numbers? Any thoughts on just bypassing, or maybe just moving the switch far enough away from whatever engages it that it no longer closes? I don't see a whole lot about this switch in the manual- is the objective to stop you from getting off the tractor with the pto engaged- ie, it works in a series with the seat switch?

Does look like Wheelhorse couldn't have put it into a much less accessible location....

Thanks,

Mike Randall

rickv1957

Yes, pto switch works with seat switch,you can bypass seat switch and try it,Rick

Jim_M

The pto safety switch is N.O. , it's held closed by a tab on the pto lever when the pto is disengaged. The pto switch won't stall the tractor, it's in the starter circuit, not the ignition circuit. I'm wondering if it's your seat switch. You may be shifting your weight as you engage the pto. The seat switch is wired in the ignition circuit.