Sign in to follow this  
grinchsr

GT 1100 Timing

grinchsr

I have a 11 horse B&S motor which I am freshening up but I need to know what the trick is to setting the timing of the counter balance wheels with the rest of the rotating parts. Do I need a special tool?

TT

:notworthy:

To time the Synchro-Balance gears, all you'll need is two 1/8" drill bits or pieces of rod:

252417.jpg

rick

The boilerplate advice is to get a B&S service manual, LOL!!

The only special tools you need are on the engine, or should be.

The crankcase cover has two little plugs in it, 5/16 head screws in two depressions. Remove the plugs, shine a light through the hole as you slowly turn the timing gear.

you will see a hole in the gear through the hole. Now take the screws that hold the breather in place and use them to lock the timing gears in place. A 1/8 rod will work almost as well, but the the right screws keep you from trying to keep everything lined up at once. The point on the breather screws goes into the hole in the timing gear!

You will have better luck putting the engine flywheel side down on the bench, supporting the crankcase with wood blocks, as you will have to manipulate the governor gear to get it to line up.

When you get the engine together, there is a correct way to set the thrust bearing between the pulley and crankcase cover. Go to www.mywheelhorse.com, register and find service bulletins. The one you are looking for is 326b, PTO Thrust Being Preload.

rick

Thanks, TT, I was in the process of answering and had to clean off wife's car.

rickv1957

Hellow and :thumbs::notworthy: Rick

grinchsr

Thank you for the quick reply. You guys always have the right answer.