Sign in to follow this  
64s

Woodruff Key

64s

I've never had a problem taking out a woodruff key, but tonight I'm trying to tear into a trani, took off the wheels, brake drum, and the woodruff key to the drum is more than stuck. I put heat to it, PB Blaster, and no luck. Any tricks out there???? Or do just let the thing soak for a while? :notworthy:

Thanks in advance!! George

oldandred

just get a scerw driver that you dont care about and put it under the edge and hit it hard should pop right out

Lane Ranger

:notworthy:

George: Post up some pictures on your 1054 restoration when get you done with your Woodruff Key job!

I would love to see that project unfolding.

TT

I usually take a pin punch and hit straight down on one end of the top of the key, causing the key to rotate in the keyseat.

Once the opposite end lifts, use the punch on the underside and tap it the rest of the way out of the seat.

You might need to dress the key up with a file when you're done though. :notworthy:

Try to support the opposite side of the shaft on something solid so the force is directed to the key and not the bearing.

64s

Oldandred -- Tried the screwdriver trick - no luck

Lane Ranger -- The 1054 won't get started until next summer. This is for a 34E.

TT -- I'll try it. I was using a punch and hitting it on the very end next to the shaft since the trani is mounted verticle, its on its side in a stand with the drive shafts up and down. I'm going to replace the key anyway, I've destroyed the first 1/8th inch.

I'll keep you all posted --- Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! :notworthy:

64s

Well Terry, It took hitting the key until it stood up like the Titanic before I culd pull it out, but out it came.

Thanks everyone for the input.

George

TT

:thumbs:

It should get easier now. :notworthy:

Kelly

Well look at it this way you know the key way is in good shape :notworthy:

buckrancher

I usually take a pin punch and hit straight down on one end of the top of the key, causing the key to rotate in the keyseat.

Once the opposite end lifts, use the punch on the underside and tap it the rest of the way out of the seat.

You might need to dress the key up with a file when you're done though. :thumbs:

Try to support the opposite side of the shaft on something solid so the force is directed to the key and not the bearing.

TT right that's the way I remove them :notworthy: