Sign in to follow this  
sodbuster

electrolisis barrel

sodbuster

:notworthy: I finally built a electrolisis barrel.if you have been reading threads,and wondering if it works.It does!! easy to build.I found my arm and hammer at the local ace hardware.they had to order it,but gladly did.price was good too.my question is: after using the barrel,when do you know when to change the water and detergent?? mine has been working overtime!! 2 frames,2 seats and stands,some smaller misc.parts.it seems it has lost some of its bite!! not breaking down material as good as it did.is it water,detergent?the metal pipe I used in the barrel still looks good. anyone have any ideas?? thanks p.s. I have a chance at a very large stainless steel tank.can I use that for tank?? price is right too!! free!!

Save Old Iron

NO STAINLESS

Stainless contains chrome which will break down in the water and form a toxic chromium solution not compatible with long human lifespan.

Is the "arm and hammer" you used washing soda or baking soda ?? Washing soda is better. The solution you create should never wear out - just top off any evaporation with plain water.

The rods you use for anodes need to be cleaned VERY WELL to keep up the current flow in the tank.

Make sure all the electrical connections to the rods and your rusty part are clean. You would be amazed to see all the gunk that falls to the bottom of these tanks, but the buildup does not slow down your reaction - it just looks bad.

:notworthy:

• Like 1

Coadster32

Stainless contains chrome which will break down in the water and form a toxic chromium solution not compatible with long human lifespan.

Called hexavalient chromium. (prob. not spelt that way though) Watch a move by the lovely Julia Roberts calld "Eric Brochovich." After watching it, make your own desicion on weather or not to use stainless. (did I mention lovely?) :notworthy:

sodbuster

I am using super washing soda,made by arm&hammer. I could not find it in my town.I tried the internet,and found that ace hardware had it on their website.checked with the local store,did not stock it but gladly ordered it. 3 days later I was brewing parts!!

Save Old Iron

So Sodbuster, are you back cranking off the rust or do you still need help with your problem ?

• Like 1

junkman

how do you make one????????? :notworthy:

Juggler

how do you make one????????? :notworthy:

Here's a link to get you going...

electrolysis

on edit: I get my Arm & Hammer Washing Soda at Meijer.