Sign in to follow this  
Save Old Iron

Rattle Can Spray Caps

Save Old Iron

At least it may turn out to be a source for inexpensive replacements for caps that are clogged or partially clogged. I'd rather swap out a cap at 20 cents each than screw with unclogging it.

http://www.grafcaps.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

Electro12WH

It seems that every aerosol I have has a different cap!

Duff

May or may not be a useful tip for anyone, but I keep the spray caps for my rattle cans in a small bottle of acetone between uses. Only takes a second to fish one out and I'm ready to go. Never had to unclog one yet! [Note I'm using Rustoleum products. Other sprays might require a different solvent...]

Duff :notworthy:

WHC-125

Duff, what do you use on your restores? And what color? How about then one in your avatar? :notworthy:

chesbaycruiser

Interesting site Chuck.

Makes me kinda' wonder....have you been out "tagging"?

:notworthy:

Save Old Iron

well, kinda ..... yeah by mistake

I tried to use one of those aluminum refillable, rechargeable, environmentally friendly spray cans you see advertised. I did not have any rattle can primer left but had a gallon of primer sitting there staring at me.

They work great but the metal of the can is so flimsy, if you drop or dent them they instantly dump their contents over you and your project. So now I have a partially assembled 520H that has been "randomly and unintentionally re-primered.

Still cleaning that one up ....... :notworthy:

captjake

When i'm done painting, I take the cap off and put it on a can of carb cleaner, give it a short spray, never had a clog.

linen beige

I just do as the instructions on the can say. Turn it upside down and spray for a couple seconds. I've been using spray can paints in the model hobby for over 40 years. I can recall only TWO clogged tips in all that time. Both cans were Testor's transparent blue from the early '70s.

pbradley68

I just do as the instructions on the can say. Turn it upside down and spray for a couple seconds. I've been using spray can paints in the model hobby for over 40 years. I can recall only TWO clogged tips in all that time. Both cans were Testor's transparent blue from the early '70s.

That technique has worked for me also.

Save Old Iron

ohhhh , now I see the problem ! Everyone commenting on clogged caps. If you go to the site, you will see there are caps for all types of different spray patterns for various brands of paint (thanks chesbaycruiser for confirming its the right link).

Fat caps and feathering caps, etc.

I like a good rattle can session as much as the next guy but nothing beats the wide, consistent fan pattern of a good spray gun. I was interested in seeing if anyone ever tried using the different SPRAY PATTERNS available from these caps.

That was the real intention of my post. My bad - poor wording.

Duff

Duff, what do you use on your restores? And what color? How about then one in your avatar? :notworthy:

Chris, Rustoleum Regal Red for the red stuff and Rustoleum Gloss Black for highlights (which on #2 tractor is becoming eveything but the sheet metal!). I prime with Rustoleum rusty metal primer (red oxide).

Duff :thumbs: