Sign in to follow this  
Dale

which trans do you like best for plowing?

Dale

which trans do you like best for plowing? i would like to have a hydro lift for garden attachments but like the way a manual pulls. i found a nice charger 12 it doesn't have a hydro lift but plan on adding it. should i buy or wait to find an 8 speed and just live with the manual lift. seems the ones that get used alot with a garden plow crack around where the handle locks. will not be used to mow thanks dale

Indy w h

Dale, I prefer a good ol modified 854 with 8 speed trans and

the hy-2 hydraulic lift. It's the best of both worlds

Indy :notworthy:

wh500special

I'm assuming you mean for plowing snow. I'm pretty sure this question has been asked a few times before, so you might try a search or two for other opinions.

Here's mine:

HYDRO.

Even w/o a hydraulic lift a hydro tractor is much more productive since you can vary the speed at will when plowing. Start out slowly to gather some momentum and traction and then full speed ahead to curl the snow off the blade. In tight quarters with a lot of back and forth motion the hydro excels again.

To be honest, other than for tilling I prefer a hydro in just about every instance. The only reason I feel a stick works better in tilling is that the tiller tends to push the tractor and sometimes it is hard to hold it back with a hydro. I suppose if you plan to plow a field with a moldboard plow you might also select the manual.

Hydros share nothing in common with an automobile's automatic transmission and seem to be very durable (when they've been maintained). And, they are a lot simpler inside than a sliding gear transmission. Although the level of precision is higher.

Steve

pfrederi

My preference is an 8 speed. I do not like having to wait around for the hydro to warm up. Since the limiting factor in plowing is traction not horsepower I just vary the throttle to fine tune the speed.

jtmoyer

find an 8 speed with an electric lift. :thumbs:

for plowing snow i think i am going to like the 8 speed better. i may be plowing early in the morning and can keep the motor noise down at a lower throttle, where the hydro i have to run wide open. i like the hydro a lot and have had good luck with every thing but tilling grass under (the tiller tends to ride on top and push the tractor). the 8 speed seemed to be to fast in 1st for the tiller. this will be the first year for me to plow snow with the 8 speed, going to give it a try. i may end up putting the 417-8 up for sale. dale let me know if you might be interested. it does have the electric lift, unless i take it off :notworthy:

jason

WheelHorse_of_course

I like my Hydro Charger 12 1969 very much. For mowing and snow plowing and snow blowing it really helps to be able to modulate your speed.

If you get an old one with Dextron the warmer up is MUCH shorter.

If you get a Hydro and plan on converting to a hydraulic lift be aware you will needs some check valve springs and pieces as well as the valve and cylinder and bellcrank.

If you want it for the lift you might wait to buy on that has it.

Best of luck! :notworthy: :thumbs:

rickv1957

All around work it would be hard to beat the hydro models,Rick

IthacaJeff

Dale:

It seems from the discussion that whatever you are used to works just fine.

I've got a 310-8 with a manual lift that plows great. Yup, ya' gotta shift a

lot when in tight places and building up mounds of snow, but it keeps you

active in the seat to help stay warm!

I've not had an electric or hydraulic lift, but with the manual I can exert

downpressure and can quickly lift the blade when riding up a snow bank.

It can get a bit tiring, but see above for staying warm. . .

Jeff in Ithaca/Enfield

Cody

I like the hydro for with the hydro lift the best for plowing, the down pressure is a nice addition and saves your arms alot. Iv plowed with both and you can't beat the way a wheel horse plows and performs either way!!! Their built like tanks

Dale

i wouldn't be plowing alot of snow with it. will mostly be using it in the garden plowing potatoes and getting wood to the house i don't have alot of grass. it's in such good shape i think it would be worth coverting it to hydro lift. i think it's an early 70's. i have a c-161 that i am putting together for my dad as a back up mower the 16hp blowed so i put a 12hp on it. i am thinking i might swap the trans put the c series with the 1 1/8 axles in the charger sence he will be only mowing grass.

Indy w h

Dale I plow a lot of gardens with the 854 pullin a brinly 12" Just put it in

2 hi and fly :notworthy: No worry about the trans "creepin" slower or faster. It's the

same speed all the time!!!

Indy

WheelHorse_of_course

Dale:

It seems from the discussion that whatever you are used to works just fine.

I've got a 310-8 with a manual lift that plows great. Yup, ya' gotta shift a

lot when in tight places and building up mounds of snow, but it keeps you

active in the seat to help stay warm!

I've not had an electric or hydraulic lift, but with the manual I can exert

downpressure and can quickly lift the blade when riding up a snow bank.

It can get a bit tiring, but see above for staying warm. . .

Jeff in Ithaca/Enfield

Yeah, people start asking why my left arm is bigger than the right - at least I hav a plausible reason to tell them :WRS::thumbs:

When plowing with my 3 speed my left leg was really getting built up too!

:notworthy:

can whlvr

i think both units have threre advantages and disadvantages,but either way is WAY b etter than shovelling

Rideawaysenior

The hydro sure makes easier effortless work of shifting but the warm up time is a drawback. Within the 10 minutes it takes to warm up, I can be half way done with my driveway.

Suburban 550

I plowed with both. I prefer the 8 speed. Warm up time with the hydros is a drawback. Just my opinion. :notworthy:

Confused99

I have only plowed with a manual trans and think that would be the way to go but I will be putting my blade on the 312H after I get the 520H ready to go. The blade is light enough I don't think the hydro lift will be much of an advantage unless a person has trouble lifting it and needs the hydro lift.

Either way, I need some snow :notworthy:

Jason

rickv1957

Warm up time with a hydro? never thought of that as always have the woodstove going,Rick

Confused99

Warm up time with a hydro? never thought of that as always have the woodstove going,Rick

Oh yeah, my garage stays 50 degrees so my warm up time should be pretty short too.

Dale

snow blades are not that bad but i am more intersted in the hydro lift for a moldboard plow they are harder to lift than a snow blade

Ken B

I have a nice magnetic block warmer that I can warm the diff. up the night before I use the hydro. Has anyone tried this? I have plowed with both a slush box and a gear box and in some cases theres no way an 8 speed can keep up, especially if you have lots of backing up to do. The more snow clearing you have, the more beneficial a hydro will be. Just my opinion of course.

TT

Dale is asking about a moldboard plow, guys.... for plowing furrows in dirt - not a dozer blade for snow removal.

Manual lift does have the advantage of the Dial-A-Hite adjustment for limiting plow depth. Lifting force depends on the size/weight/length (beam) of the plow and the type of hitch being used. There's no doubt that electric or hydraulic lift would make it easier on the operator but it might be a sacrifice in control.

If it's "virgin" ground, it's sometimes harder to lift the plow at the end of the pass than if the ground has been previously worked. (easily remedied by backing up slightly while lifting the plow)

Lift cables are the weakest link regardless of the type of lift. Many pre-1978 models also suffer from a weak spot at the bottom of the lift lever tube and can break at the weld if excessive force is used to lift a heavy attachment.

A hydro will undoubtedly do the job if it's in good condition and the friction on the DCL (direction control linkage/lever) is adjusted properly. If the DCL creeps on its own, that means it needs human attention - and not in the form of cussing at it. As always, proper tires (or chains) and adequate weight are also a benefit, if not a necessity.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Indy...... 2nd high with 8hp and a 12" plow? Really? You wouldn't do that in my dirt! :notworthy:

Indy w h

TT

here in Indy land(that's Indiana) the soils got a lot of sand in it and someplaces it is jet black

sometimes clay, so depending on what county I'm in, it's 2 hi and fly. I've never been to

Pennsylvania so I don't know " your soil" but if I could I'd bring up the 854 and plow your

garden for ya!!

Indy :thumbs:

P.S. TT all you want to do is just turn over the top soil, so it's not like i'm going a foot deep

Just a tip in case you didn't know :notworthy:

linen beige

I gotta be different.....

Might I suggest a 953/1054/1054A? They're just three speed manuals, but have hydro lifts, and with their higher ground clearance were designed with garden plowing/cultivating in mind.

Dale

i know where a 1054 is setting in a barn im tying to get

Indy w h

Jim n Dale the 1054 does a good job also ya get the extra ground clearance. I plow with

mine also with the 12" brinly IN 2nd gear.

Indy