Sign in to follow this  
WH Raider 10

My First WH - 71' Raider 10

WH Raider 10

Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

First off i would like to say my thanks for all the members on the forum. I find quite a bit of helpful information in other threads. :banghead:

As the title suggests today i picked up my first ever wheel horse, a 1971 Raider 10 6 speed with a tucky 10hp. I paid 150$ for the tractor and the snowblower shown in the pictures.(A Steal? :hide: ) It has electric clutch, a cigarette lighter, electric start with a recoil starter for backup, perhaps. :) and what appears to be original wheel horse tires :thumbs2: .

DSC00920.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00922.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

There is alot! I heard some people like pics :banghead:

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00927.jpg

DSC00929.jpg

I began work on it tonight, got quite a bit done. I think ill let the pictures do the talking but i'll give a little review.

SDC11576.jpg

I began by taking the air filter off(easiest thing to do) filled the tires with some air to see if they can hold it well, and took some pics

SDC11577.jpg

SDC11578.jpg

SDC11579.jpg

SDC11580.jpg

Took the hood off and then took more pics!(pics are good :notworthy: )

SDC11581.jpg

SDC11582.jpg

SDC11583.jpg

Then i took the muffler and air filter bezel(?) off.

SDC11584.jpg

SDC11585.jpg

SDC11586.jpg

I "Attempted" to carefully take the fuel filter off :WRS: that wasn't so successful but it got the job done.

SDC11588.jpg

Then i took the battery out. OH by the way PB blaster is man's best friend :thumbs: .

SDC11589.jpg

SDC11590.jpg

Took the Gas tank off.

SDC11591.jpg

Took the carb off and then took it apart.

SDC11592.jpg

SDC11593.jpg

Took some more pics.

SDC11594.jpg

SDC11595.jpg

SDC11596.jpg

Then I challenged the recoil starter and scroud, I won, of course.

SDC11597.jpg

And that was where i finished, more work and pictures tomorrow.

SDC11598.jpg

I find this forum to be an excellent source for Wheel Horse enthusiasts :banghead: for additional information you can add, it is well appreciated.

:USA: Dan B.

Night Ladies and Gents

Indy w h

Hey Welcome and congrats on your first WH!! :notworthy: it looks to be a good one and what a steal

150$ wow !! Now your "sickness" begins next thing you'll have 20 WH's. Just like eating a lays

potato chip "betcha can't eat just one" or in WHCC "betcha can't own just one". Keep us informed

on the work.

Indy

Save Old Iron

:notworthy:

jpmcleod

I began with a C120 and have grown from there. It's a sickness without a cure. I can't wait until I get home each day and do something with mine. It looks as though you have a good project tractor and will be a good looking machine. Make sure you show us photos of you next addition because it is just a matter of time. From way down south in Florida, welcome to Redsquare. I love just looking at what others have collected each day. One more restored Wheel Horse is one less rusting away.

KeithB

Welcome and congrats on your new/first Horse :notworthy:

wheel horse 1045

welcome and they are like potato chips you cant stop at one

bmuone

Welcome and you did come with some great pictures and well posted. That's half the battle around here. You feel like Christmas came early? Have fun......Dayton

Duff

Hi, Dan!

:thumbs:

Looks like a really nice, stright machine - should turn into a real worker! Have fun with it, and as the folks above have said....now the madness [addiction] begins!

Duff :notworthy:

Doubletrouble

They are right, I already want one or two or three or.... More!! That's a good looking tractor for starters, you'll have fun with it. Congrats and :notworthy:

Old Dave

Nice tractor and you got a good price. Got the older version of that one at home and have drove it for 31 yrs.

Dave

stevasaurus

Dan... :) ...now that is how to post pictures!!!! If you keep taking it apart

you already have a good record of how it goes back together. :notworthy:

I can see you are already hooked...that is a great horse you got there, and I think

you got it at a very good price. Can pay that much for just the blower. :WRS:

Keep them pictures comming buckaroo!!! :thumbs: Happy traills.

whfan74

Congratulations!

The first one is always the most memorable and many times the most cherished! I am glad that you shared your first experience with us and of course we love seeing the pictures!

Take care of her and she will do the same to you!

bo dawg

:thumbs: She's a keeper :notworthy:

rickv1957

Them Raiders are very good tractors,looks like yours has a later model engine,good luck, Rick:thumbs:

chamjack

:notworthy: It looks like you got quite a solid machine there. Nice pictures. I am starting to like those electric clutches I keep seeing on here.

buckrancher

congrats on the new horse hope it's the first of many

bitten

Hello and :thumbs:

Now drop the camera and get more work done :notworthy:

WH Raider 10

Evening Ladies and Gents,

Spent a good hour and a half working tonight. Didn't do much(its no fun when you have to spend five minutes looking for a tool! :thumbs: ) but i reattached all the electrical componenets to their proper places( for some reason they weren't where they were supposed when i bought it, i dunno :banghead: ).

SDC11599.jpg

A little tire shine and elbow grease and it don't look too bad. :WRS:

SDC11600.jpg

SDC11601.jpg

SDC11602.jpg

I love the wiring of this tractor everything is labeled on the ignition! :)

SDC11603.jpg

SDC11604.jpg

This doesn't look factory?

SDC11605.jpg

SDC11606.jpg

SDC11607.jpg

SDC11608.jpg

SDC11609.jpg

I was going to remove the flywheel but the nut on that shaft is huge! it has to be bigger than 1"! :thumbs2: oh well ill have to figure that out later.

I have two questions. :notworthy:

First, does anybody have a manual for a 71 Raider 10? if so it would be greatly appreciated it i could get a copy.

Second, Does anybody have a manual for the snowblower, a 6 6212 7? if so it would also be appreciated if i could get a copy.

:banghead: Dan B.

WH Raider 10

Evening Ladies and Gents,

Another Update :banghead: !!!

Tonight I did quite a bit of work, i found that there was spark, so i left the ignition part of the tractor alone, dropped the carb in parts cleaner, ate :) ... 30 minutes later i pulled it out and put it back together, fortunately i caught myself as i put the float in. :thumbs: it felt unusually heavy, i shook it around and man was it full of gas or something. so after going through the stockpile of parts I found a float and put that in. :banghead:

SDC11611.jpg

SDC11612.jpg

Then i decided to check the head, took it off and cleaned the gunk off the piston and surrounding areas and put the head back on.

SDC11613.jpg

SDC11614.jpg

SDC11615.jpg

I then worked on replacing all the fuel lines. easy peezy :WRS: (unfortunately my break neck speed made me forget to take pics)

SDC11616.jpg

Put the gas tank back on.

SDC11617.jpg

SDC11618.jpg

I put the shroud and recoil starter back on.

SDC11619.jpg

SDC11620.jpg

SDC11621.jpg

The muffler magically attached itself :banghead:

SDC11622.jpg

SDC11623.jpg

Then I pulled it a few times with full choke....

Then a few time with half throttle and half choke...

AND Blub blub blub blub... I had myself a working engine :thumbs2: (without a battery(tomorrows project), of course)

Naturally I had to ride it around; it had to be the best ride of my life. i felt so successful :notworthy: .

SDC11624.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Good Night,

:hide: Dan B.

Suburban 550

:thumbs: Dan. Looks like you're off to a great start with your first horse. :notworthy: I could almost bet it won't be your last. The Wheel Horse addiction is only beginning. :WRS: Thanks for sharing your pics.

WH Raider 10

Morning Everybody,

Here is an odd question.

Last night when i went to turn the Raider off i turn the key to off and it did nothing, so i then turn the key to start and it turned off from there. Is this because i don't have a battery installed or do i have a legit wiring problem?

Thanks

:notworthy: Dan B.

WH Raider 10

Evening everbody,

Today I got a little bit more done.

First i worked on the fuel value, i made it all nice and pretty and it didnt really work like i wanted it too :notworthy: , so i just put on a stens aftermarket fuel value. :WRS: Then i found some wire, HEAVY STUFF and replaced the electric clutch wire, easy :) .

SDC11628.jpg

SDC11631.jpg

Before

SDC11634.jpg

After( i need to put some shrinkwrap on it)

SDC11635-1.jpg

I then took da Raida for a spin and decided to connect the snowblower.

SDC11625.jpg

SDC11626.jpg

SDC11632.jpg

SDC11633.jpg

I then realized "Geez Dan how are you going to lift the blower up?" :thumbs:

There is no lift tube/flag. I think im gonna fab my own. :banghead:

I then drove all over god's green creation to find this

SDC11636-1.jpg

Hopefully it will be installed tomorrow.

Heres a quick question.

is there an alternator of some sort on these tractors?

Thanks for reading again :banghead:

:banghead: Dan B.

WH Raider 10

Evening Everybody,

A little update.

I placed the battery in today, no problem with that. went to start it up and all that i saw was a white mist coming out of the muffler :WRS: , so i thought, hmm maybe the plug is bad. I took the plug out and it was soaked with gas, i tried the new plug to no avail.

SDC11637.jpg

SDC11638.jpg

I remember i had some ignition problem(still unresolved) and decided to disconnect this wire:

SDC11656.jpg

I got spark this time but i wasnt getting any gas... wasn't enuff in the filter :notworthy: fixed that and it ran like a top :thumbs: .

Then i did a little farting around with the snowblower.(This is a lead into another topic i will start later)

Then i tried to fix my spark/ignition problem. didnt work so i left it like it was.

SDC11647.jpg

Thanks,

:) Dan B.

WH Raider 10

Finally got to fixing the ole horse up tonight.

The new ignition switch came in yesterday and I work all night to get it right. :lol:

The switch on the left is the old/wrong one, the right is the new one.

SDC11710.jpg

As you can see the wrong switch was bigger, which required the Previous owner to cut up the dash. This made it so the new switch wouldnt fit but i fabricated a metal plate to put between the dash and back metal! :thumbs:

SDC11706.jpg

I primed the metal back plate as well. just for kicks and giggles and it also accents the red nicely. :banghead:

SDC11709.jpg

Starting putting wires back where they belong...

SDC11707.jpg

Then I moved on to my next project while i let the paint dry.

I bought an ammeter and a voltmeter for the horse and i had this gauge cluster from a junkyard car(that happens to be in the backyard. but thats a different story!) and they fit perfect my only dilemma was where to put it.

I had some extra tin from a junk motor and i made a bracket for the cluster. My next mission is to paint them white or red. dont know yet! :WRS:

SDC11711.jpg

SDC11712.jpg

SDC11713.jpg

The paint dried well enough and i installed the dash

SDC11714.jpg

So now my kick butt tractor is wicked awesome!!! :wwp:

Thanks for reading,

:lol: Dan B. :hide:

sgtsampay

Wow, very nice. It looks like your doing a great job with your horse. You really sound like my and my horse. LOL. Anyway, you just need a tach on there and then your all set!. LOL.