Sign in to follow this  
418a

rattle can VS sprayer

418a

I've tried using rattle cans ,But it seems that it chips and stuff!! I'm thinking maybe a sprayer and a color that will match the red thats on the tractor with maybe a hardener?? Has anyone tried this and what was the outcome of this process.Not only do I want to paint the tractors but also the attachments,most of these tractors are workers.418a

Alan_Heist

Please don't take offense, but paint chipping off is usually more a product of poor surface prep rather than the method that it is applied. The surface needs to be sanded at about 600 grit wet sanding and let to dry and be lint and oil free prior to painting. then several light mist coats are better than 1 thick coat for a smoother and more durable finish.

tarcoleo

Rustoleum "Sunrise Red" #7762 with a brush does well for me,

especially on workers. A quart can (about $10.00 will do an

entire tractor).

Tom in RI :scratchead:

linen beige

Please don't take offense, but paint chipping off is usually more a product of poor surface prep rather than the method that it is applied. The surface needs to be sanded at about 600 grit wet sanding and let to dry and be lint and oil free prior to painting. then several light mist coats are better than 1 thick coat for a smoother and more durable finish.

:scratchead:

A couple of other common causes of chipping paint. A paint film that is simply way too thick, and a primer that is sprayed too dry.

When your paint chips, look closely at the back side of the chipped off peice. Is it just paint or is there a fine, grainy textured film of primer on the back side? When a primer film is improperly laid down too dry (most commonly by spraying from too far away which allows too much of it's binder to dry while enroute to the surface) it tends to "chalk". If, after spraying a primer film, you can wipe a dusty residue off the surface you're spraying too dry. This type of dry film may seem to build more quickly and fill imperfections faster, but it won't hold even the best paint film.

As an added word of caution, primer can be sprayed too wet also. A too wet primer film will not dry properly and can cause it's own adhesion problems.

418a

Thanks guys, I think its a combo of things but has anyone tryed hardener in a tractor paint.Powder coating would be nice on the frame but I think it would get costly.How was it painted at the factory?? :scratchead:

nylyon

Although I didn't paint it, my C-160 was painted with Valsapr with Hardener, it looks okay and seems durable.

MikesRJ

Paraphrasing from "Straight from the horses mouth";

Wheel Horse painted cleaned and prepped metal (without primer) using automotive sprayers and paint w/ hardeners. The painted parts where then transported to a roof-top drying room of sorts which was heated to about 260 degrees F.

tasmi01

In addition to Alen's post a good primer also helps :notworthy: