Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

RESTORING BRINLEY PLOW

illinilefttackle

:thumbs: I got a brinley plow today & plan to blast it and paint it before I use it- Tickster said he thought they were "off white with black plows and coulter" Anybody got any pics? Might as well try to make this look correct with I spiff it up.

Oh and by the way-I don't know a darn thing about how this thing should be ajusted while plowing-Anyone got instructions?-Thanks-Al :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Al, Yes a sort of off white cream color with black moldboard and coulter

brinlyplow.jpg

I have acopy of the instructions, email me and i'll send you them on PDF.

TT

And you can even get some spiffy new decals on ebay! :thumbs:

Brinly Decals

combatmp29r

Yep sure can. Now If I could just figure out what size mine is :thumbs:

kpinnc

Yep sure can. Now If I could just figure out what size mine is

Joel, I was told the proper way to measure one of these is from the middle of the "V" shape at the back of the blade horizontally across to the front- right on the line where the two peices join. My Brinly plow is a 8" model, per that way of measuring. Most of the CAT 0 3 point styles were 10", again, as I am told... :thumbs:

If that is incorrect, hopefully one of these fellas will step in and set me straight on this. :thumbs:

Kevin

combatmp29r

AH Hah. Nope your right Kevin. I knew there was a sweet spot to measure, but couldn't remember where it was :thumbs: We only farmed 1400 acres you'd think I could remember that :D Thanks Kevin :thumbs:

kpinnc

Oh and by the way-I don't know a darn thing about how this thing should be ajusted while plowing

Al, I've never seen the instructions, but I assure you it won't take long to set the plow up. If you set the bite too high, it'll ride shallow and not do alot. If you set it too low, it'll bury itself in a jiffy and test out your differential!

Can you say "land anchor"? :thumbs:

Good luck!

Kevin

Rollerman

Al if you do a search on ebay for "Brinly" you should see some pop up on there.

Give you a good idea what they look like in original trim.

All of my other ones are red..... :thumbs:

illinilefttackle

Al if you do a search on ebay for "Brinly" you should see some pop up on there.

Give you a good idea what they look like in original trim.

All of my other ones are red..... :thumbs:

Thanks Guys!- Tickster had the solution for me-on E-bay I saw this pic. Guess What- Since my tractor is a "Black Hood" and is largely red-This ones for me! Kinda keeps the colors going- maybe even a new "spiffy" Decal or two. I'll post the pics after I'm done- Thanks again!-AL :thumbs:

Brinlyplowred.jpg

Kelly

He's a pic of mine the paint is pretty good I'd say a shade or 2 darker than the wheels on the tractors, with black blade and colter.

I never knew how to size mine so I did when I took these photos it's 10.5 so I guess a 10"? I can put mine all the way in the ground buried and pull it with my lawnboy :thumbs::thumbs: GT18 auto I was very impressed with it.

Here's my plow

100_8907.jpg

100_8909.jpg

My Lawnboy GT18 Toro bought lawnboy so it's a cousin to WH

100_8911.jpg

Kelly

WOW did my pic's get messed up with that one, Words spread all over the place. I goofed up something?

combatmp29r

Its all in those Tires Kelly :thumbs:

CommandoV18wheeliebars3.jpg

combatmp29r

Hey Kelly I figured out that you can't have the pics and words on the same line. Gotta hit enter and put the words on their own line

Example:

Type a line

image line here

type another line

another image

etc....

May be an easier way but this is waht works for me :thumbs:

Kelly

Thanks Joel, I think that's what I did, The tires I got at a farm auction new for $10 There a little small 23x8.50x12 on that tractor but they dig really good.

combatmp29r

$10 :thumbs: No why can't I find a set for that price??? I'd like to pick up a second set for the V18 so I can dual it at times for real use not play :thumbs:

combatmp29r

OK so maybe its all play :thumbs: :thumbs:

Kelly

I also picked up a set of new 24x10.5x12 at the same time both sets on a pallet I won it for $20 plus tax and buyers fee it was like $22.50 for both sets of tires.

combatmp29r

:thumbs: :thumbs:

combatmp29r

What you need to do is find a set of bigger diggers fr it and sell me the 23x8.50-12s :thumbs: :thumbs:

illinilefttackle

Ok Guys -another rookie question- Should the coulter be stationary on it's mount or should it move back and forth a little? If it's supposed to be stationary I'll have to weld up a little spacer to make it tight.

Also , is it supposed to be aimed right at the blade of the plow or to one side? :thumbs: Thanks-AL :thumbs:

Kelly

I ran mine loose. And it did just fine. Don't know if it's right or not. It kinda followed like a shopping cart wheel. I think it's for cutting sod so the plow will roll the sod over. Correct me if wrong.

combatmp29r

Al, if your asking should it be able to spin around on the bottom of the mounting shaft yes. There actually should be a grease zerk there to keep it lubed. Now as far as the shaft itself moving no not at all. I've always set the coulter at a depth of 2 1/2 - 3 " to split the root base on the sod. If the shaft can move than it could slide up and work its way out of the soil.

illinilefttackle

It's kinda hard to explain-the vertical shaft that the coulter is hooked to is staionary-but the coulter will swing back and forth on it about 2 inches each way-seems to be worn near the pin that holds it on. The coulter turns around like it should on its hub-but it ahouldn't move back and forth on the vertical shaft should it? -Al :thumbs:

Rollerman

Al I would say yes....all my PLows with the coulter wheel swing a few degrees from side to side.

It will find it's center when you start pulling it through the dirt.

I believe it's how they are suposed to be with some "give" in them.

I don't know about you guys...but I find it takes a lot more skill to pull a plow without going straight... :thumbs: ...so you want the coulter to swing a bit if you run a plow like me. :thumbs:

On a side note I do have an all black Brinly plow here I had forgot about.

It has a gold backed Brinly decal with black lettering.

combatmp29r

Not straight? Don't even plow with my old man around :thumbs: H e used to come out to the field and sight down the rows and use a stick to check depth. If it wasn't right back out you went. Ever tried to replow a plowed field? :thumbs: