Sign in to follow this  
stevet

How to paint lettering on round hoods

stevet

Just wondering how you guys paint the letters on round hoods so it doesn't look rinky dink. Do you use some kind of hard roller? Free hand?

Steve

South Bend, IN

Kelly

I used a paint marker, but I could only find white, and a steady hand

Eriks Red horse herd

Steve i've found that free hand with a small brush and a steady hand is the best way. Oh and don't drink any alcohol before ya paint :scratchead:

whfan74

I have heard that using a hard roller from a place like Staples works well. Just take your time and do not put too much paint on the roller at a time. Keep her level and you should do ok.

Let us know how you do and what method you try!

Suburban 550

I need both of my round hoods done and I'm afraid to tackle it myself. Hands are a little too shakey. :scratchead: Thinking about letting a professional do it.

Lane Ranger

The Elmer's White Paint marker has an excellent white paint and head on the marker to paint the embossed WHEEL HORSE letters on the round hoods. I used it and painted it twice and just did it slowly and it came out very good!

clintonnut

I've used two different techniques. One is with a stiff sponge and the other is with a fine brush. Have q-tips available in case you slip. If you clean it up with q-tips right away you don't need paint or laquer thinner. You can do it while it is on the tractor. Just have a step stool to sit on as it takes time!

Charlie

Lane Ranger

This is Wheel Horse lettering using Elmer's White Paint marker. This was as close as I could get to get a good focused close-up.

102_6696.jpg

Here is one more close shot.

102_6695.jpg

HorseFixer

I need both of my round hoods done and I'm afraid to tackle it myself. Hands are a little too shakey. :ychain: Thinking about letting a professional do it.

Yep thats what I did :ychain: had a gal at my local sign shop do my hood and the Kohler on my engine for $50.00 smackers! :hide: I believe in doing my part and stimulate the economy! :scratchead: I have paid a hell of alot more and got less! :ychain: Everyone has their comfort level I guess :ychain: Me Im like Ray a lil to shakey.... :ychain:

bell

I need to do this on the 633 too... I'll definately be letting a professional do it. My hands are not very steady. Maybe if I have a few drinks first, it will come out okay. :scratchead:

Michael Bullington

i free hand all mine, small tip brush with almond paint :scratchead:

clintonnut

I see a future career. Round-Hood letter painting. I will do it for $10.00 a pop.

By my experience I can do two each hour.

Save your jobs for the show.

If I mess up I fix it or pay you $20.00!

Charlie