Sign in to follow this  
perry

saved from the dumpster

perry

my buddy got a lead on this tractor being at a clean up/dumpster rental place. he stopped there just at closing time. he said there was a full size dumpster just full of different color tractors. he got them to pull this one off the top. i went back with him in the morning to help load and check out the dumpster and it was already and gone to the dump[:D] whats the difference between the 6 spd and 8 spd?. or is that just what they called the earlier models?.

this one got mangled pretty good by a frontend loader .

busted the nice headlights, bent the plow handle, plow frame. broke the lift handle, busted the dash, and jammed the flywheel cover into the pulley. dont know if the motor turns over yet.

august07ebay001.jpg

has the HI-LO rearaxle. factory cigarette lighter, looks brand new never used

august07ebay002.jpg

rare front weights

august07ebay003.jpg

Sparky

A 6 speed and an 8 speed are the same. But heres something you should know. That tractor has a posi rear end. You can check it to be sure by jacking the entire rear end off the ground and spinning one tire by hand. The other tire should spin in the same direction. That means its a posi. Usually one tire spins one way and the other goes the opposite, like on all my B and C tractors with 8 speeds. Its not cosidered to be one of Wheel Horse's strongest rearends but I would think it would provide excellent traction in snow or mud.

Mike....

nylyon

That's a pretty good save. I'm suprised that a dealer would send it to the dumpster with those wheel weights on them. I guess I should frequent dealers dumpsters more often! For me, I would welcome the 10 pinion limited slip diff for just as Mike mentions, better for plowing. I know they're not as strong but they would probably be great for a blower or plow!

perry

this was from a private clean-up job. they didnt tell us where they found them. i think it was a house/barn demo job. man i sure wanted to get into the rest of the dumpster before they hauled it away. we left our number just in case more pop up.

Sparky

From what I hear the pulling tractor guys wont use this rear end cause it wont take the abuse of the weight sled but I suspect if yer not beatin it real hard it would provide awsome traction for plowin snow. I have never owned one to test this theory. My neighbor has one in need of an engine transplant, but hasnt put anytime into it.

Mike....

Rollerman

Nice find Perry, the wheel weights alone are a good enough find.

The Raider part are pretty easy to dig up on ebay & at swaps...so if you fix her up it won't be to hard.

The early hi/lo transmissions were 10 pinion with a heavy spring inside the pinion gears that kept pressure on them keeping them in "posi"

They are fine when used as intended..."A garden tractor"....but when used for pulling things inside tend to shift around & break.

The 8 pinion later trannys had bigger & stronger pinion gears..but no posi.

Again good find Perry!

Stephen in northern IN...going dumpster diveing tommorrow