Sign in to follow this  
tookies

D 18 Steering Wheel Removal

tookies

Any suggestions on getting a d 18 steering wheel off? My steering is messed up on this D 18, turns left fine, but is a short turner when going right. Everything I have as far as a puller wont work because as has been said before they cut into the plastic rather than the actual metal part of the steering wheel.

A D18s steering wheel and column is not like what others have described as far as being able to cut it in half and link it back together again.

This is a real problem as I was in the middle of swapping an engine out on it and went to repair the steering arm but am dead in the water today. I had to walk away from it......

Help!

javascript:emoticon(':scratchead:')

CJ in Georgia

defed

a bearing puller will work. it's got a large flat surface with a hole in the middle (it's in 2 halves to go around a shaft). this goes behind the wheel and the 'point' goes on the steering shaft. worked pretty good for me, very slight damage to the back of the wheel.

d180man

Hi bearing puller should work we have used them and here is what is listed in one of my books on how to work on them ! hope it helps you!

scan0003.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0007.jpg

scan0008.jpg

hope this helps if you need more help just ask and i will try to help!! :scratchead: :hide:

tookies

a bearing puller will work. it's got a large flat surface with a hole in the middle (it's in 2 halves to go around a shaft). this goes behind the wheel and the 'point' goes on the steering shaft. worked pretty good for me, very slight damage to the back of the wheel.

Thanks for the replies. Did the bearing puller rest on the rubber part or the metal part when you say it had slight damage? I am afraid that if I put it on the rubber art it will give out and I'll have a real mess on my hands......

tookies

Hi bearing puller should work we have used them and here is what is listed in one of my books on how to work on them ! hope it helps you!

After I figure out how to get the steering wheel off.......What is the best way to remove the whole steering unit? Work from the bottom up or go in from the side by removing side panels?

dr74go

Hello Tookies,

I know nothing about the D-series, but I have a question. Looking at d180man's post, the end of the steering shaft is very much like an automotive style. All cars and trucks I have worked on and some tractors have had threaded holes in the steering wheel. Does the D-series wheel have these holes in them? They will be under the center cap and near the outside of the nut used to hold the steering wheel on. If so, they are put there for a steering wheel puller. I think you can get them at most auto parts stores and it is not hard to make one. My father has three homemade ones and they are usually modified for different steering wheels.

Just a little info that may help.

D.L.

defed

the hole in the middle of the bearing puller closes around the shaft. if the rubber extends down past the steel hub, then it will pull on the rubber. but it will contact it all the way around, so if there is any damage, it will be minimal. it's not like a jawed puller that only contacts the wheel in 3 small areas.

i do not recall there being any threaded holes in the wheel, so it is your best option in my opinion.

looks like this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...Itemnumber=3979

defed

you can get the manual from the yahoo manual groups or toro (think it might be a B,C,D manual)....don't remember which. but i recall reading in it that after the wheel is off, it is 'easy' to lower the shaft out the bottom. i was removing a hydro pump once and it seems to me, i had a heck of a time removing the shaft even when i had most of the front end tore apart. but, in theory, it will drop out the bottom w/o removing much.