Sign in to follow this  
92Pony

What is this?

92Pony

First question - what's the correct name for the piece with the three wires attached?

Secondly, does it simply look like the previous owner installed a replacement without removing the original, (in the background - which I would presume must have been faulty)? I was nosing around the tractor today when I found this situation which had me wondering......

IMG_0333.jpg

Wade

nylyon

That's the voltage regulator, looks like it was replaced with one that has a different bolt pattern so it was just put in where it could be. You could always hook up the original and see if it charges?

Save Old Iron

Wade,

also consider on most systems , the back side of the regulator assembly is usually exposed to the forced air cooling from the flywheel, The fins on the flywheel will direct some cooling airflow over the regulator / rectifier assembly to assist in cooling it down when its providing a heavy charge current to the battery or supplying heavy current when the tractor's accessories are turned on.

Take a look at the backside of the regulator - it probably has "fins" on it. The "fins" provide a larger metal surface area that allows more metal to dissipate heat faster. The regulator assembly is electronic - electronics hate heat.

So mounting the new regulator out of this airflow may shorten its life.

You may even find if you clean the terminals on the old regulator / rectifier and clean the section of the assembly that bolts to the engine shroud (establishing a good ground to the regulator), the old regulator may still be functional.

92Pony

Wade,

also consider on most systems , the back side of the regulator assembly is usually exposed to the forced air cooling from the flywheel, The fins on the flywheel will direct some cooling airflow over the regulator / rectifier assembly to assist in cooling it down when its providing a heavy charge current to the battery or supplying heavy current when the tractor's accessories are turned on.

Take a look at the backside of the regulator - it probably has "fins" on it. The "fins" provide a larger metal surface area that allows more metal to dissipate heat faster. The regulator assembly is electronic - electronics hate heat.

So mounting the new regulator out of this airflow may shorten its life.

You may even find if you clean the terminals on the old regulator / rectifier and clean the section of the assembly that bolts to the engine shroud (establishing a good ground to the regulator), the old regulator may still be functional.

Thanks Chuck! I did not know that (the part about airflow in the stock install position). I did some cleaning yesterday (addressed in other similar post) but will look more closely at the regulator itself, and check its attachment point to the shroud giving that a cleaning as well. Thanks!

Save Old Iron

You are welcome sir !

:scratchead: