BPjunk

'500' SPECIAL model owners

nhmikel

How many of these were made?

Racinbob

I'm glad you posted on this 8 year old thread  nhmikel since it revived it. I'm in the process of restoring one now  (serial #490313) and found it very interesting. :)

• Like 1

nhmikel

We are in the process of determining what engine is on thus one, etc...model# 1 3631, ser #501828

20160517_090355.jpg

Edited by nhmikel
Pic added

rmaynard

If you are asking what engine is supposed to be on it, it came with a Tecumseh H60-75118H.

• Like 2

psalms83:18
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2008 at 4:20 PM, wh500special said:

Guys,

The SN of my tractor is 509203. Not sure where I came up with the 7000XXX number (Was going from memory). If they ran sequentially from the 485XXX to the 509XXX that would be exactly the opposite of a RARE machine. But, I think I might be on to something with the "two run" theory...

Anyway, it looks like mine is one of the "newer" ones.

we might of found the missing link between 509xxx and the 490xxx

oldredrider

Interesting timing on the revival of this post. I have one in my garage now and getting it back up and running. There are some "odd" characteristics about it my buddy and I were discussing just last night. 

It has a recoil start on it and the correct Tecumseh serial number on the shroud. It also has a flywheel gear drive for electric start but no electric starter (although the block has holes for one). Also has the diode set up for a charging system (battery start). I havent pulled the flywheel to see what kind of set up is under there. 

Has the "6" decals that look original. Serial # 509633. 

More food for thought....

• Excellent 1

psalms83:18
1 hour ago, nhmikel said:

We are in the process of determining what engine is on thus one, etc...model# 1 3631, ser #501828

post that pic u have of the serial#

Racinbob

Let's face it guys, after close to 50 years a lot of things have been done to these tractors. This swapped, that replaced, whatever. Who can really say with certainty? The basis I go on is the original owners manual parts list. But we all know how Wheel Horse did things back then. Using up inventory or who knows. There's a lot of interesting things in this old thread that need some research but the bottom line is true 'original' can no longer be certain in more cases than we want to believe. That group of Wheel Horse employees behind that closed door back in the 60's spent most of their time looking to the future by plotting how to mess with the minds of old 'kids' 50 years later. What they missed was covered by the multitude of guys like me that swapped parts back in the 60's and 70's that have now been assumed 'original' (cuz they now look old) :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 5

Stepney

I have No. 490671, but it was cut apart and turned into a riding cart/sulkey..:(

Lane Huls

This weekend I picked up 500 Special #485371, it appears to be original except the steering wheel. Motor was a dealer replacement in the early 90's an H60 in white.

20160720_073814.jpg

Edited by Lane Huls
  • Like 1

WHX??

I think pics might be in order here Lane, seems like the 500 should be on my bucket list!

Lane Huls

Soon as my barely existent internet comes back on my phone ill email it to myself. They are already taken lol

rt.jpg

Edited by Lane Huls
  • Like 1

Wildside

Ok just had to get in on this one. I got mine little over a yr. ago. Model 1 3631  Serial 490238 Motor H60  75118H, It''s in Great shape, I  used it 2 days ago to cut the grass. So this is from the First Batch? can't get it to ratate, sorry.

IMG_1111.JPG.7960130e0528dfff5a445893571caea5.JPG

Edited by CasualObserver
flipped pic
  • Like 2

Lane Huls

Yes it is, does your seat pan have three holes in the back of it? They would be in about the center of the backside. Everything else looks like the early parts

Wildside

Yes it does.

Lane Huls

Yep, you've got yourself a nice, early and original 500 Special there.

Wildside

Thanks Lane, I thought it was but had not been confirmed yet. I'm still learning the little points to look for, but figure that to go on forever.

• Like 1

Andrew Lloyd

I found a 500 special model 1 3631 serial number 509373. Can you tell me if it falls in the very collectible or just collectible range. I bought the tractor not knowing anything about it and found out what it was by the 6 decals on it. Someone had painted it green. It has an 8 horse briggs and sorry to say someone hacked up the hood 

Edited by Andrew Lloyd

953 nut

:WRS:

2 hours ago, Andrew Lloyd said:

Someone had painted it green. It has an 8 horse briggs and sorry to say someone hacked up the hood 

:soapbox:                That is horse abuse and the person who did that should be hanged at sun-up!!!!!!! 

All Wheel Horses that have "Special" designation are small production models and many were built to use up left over parts from the previous year or had an engine that was different than the majority of that years run.

Here is some good information on them.

Andrew Lloyd

Thanks for the info. After I found out that it’s a 500 special, I totally agree. I saw the tractor on Craig’s list for $200. It came with a manual lift hitch and plow on it and that’s what I had been looking for to plow my garden with. Anyway after I got it home and did a little work on the carburetor and cleaned the carburetor and gas lines it fired right up. Pulleys and belt are in good condition. Didn’t come with a deck but I really didn’t need it anyway. Planning to paint it back red and get the decals for it. 

Edited by Andrew Lloyd
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"D"- Man

The tag states 485xxx on the tractor I have.  The engine is not original among other things, but I was told the tractor was an original 500 prior to the mods.

Edited by "D"- Man

Andrew Lloyd

On a 500 special. Do you have to split the trans. to change the axle seal?

953 nut
58 minutes ago, Andrew Lloyd said:

On a 500 special. Do you have to split the trans. to change the axle seal?

No, but it is a good idea to check the axle bearings by attempting to move the axles up and down and forward and back prior to replacing the seals. If the bearings are showing any movement then they should be replaced.

If only the seal is being replaced you can remove the rear wheel and hub, clean up any rust or other problems that could damage the new seal and remove the old one. A small hole punched in the old seal will allow you to run a screw into it and then pull the seal with the screw. Be sure the keyway doesn't have any sharp edges that could cut the new seal, oil the lip of the seal and slide it on as far as you can by hand. slide a hub on and use it to drive the seal flush with the edge of the axle housing, this will ensure that it is going in square and true.

Andrew Lloyd

That’s what I was thinking. Using the hub itself sounds like a great idea insuring that the new seal goes in straight. Thanks for the info. 

Andrew Lloyd

Okay, I’m being lazy. Would you happen to have a part number for the axle seals?