Sign in to follow this  
tvr383

refilling the hydro on a 18-automatic.

tvr383

Hi,

I am just about to need refilling the differential transmission on my 1973 18-auto.

I have just finished rebuilding one dammaged axles and replaced both the needle bearing and oil seal that were dammaged.

Now the diff. casing is dry empty but am not sure how to proceed to refill the whole system as I guess,after having lift and separated

the hydro plate on top of the sunstrand motor,these four lines also got emptied!

So how do you suggest I do this correctly? Should I fill also the hydro pump section? I see a plug on top of that pump through wich I guess I could add oil but won't it all go down into the differential by gravity?Maybe not if the hydraulic control (forward reverse )his in neutral? How do I check oil level into this pump?

Adding oil into the diff alone is easy I just add till the guage dipstick indicates full but will then the 4 lines bleed out by themselves?

Also I am not sure about the oil to use...I like the idea of syntech type for better oiling..what you think? So maybe some syntech motor oil 10-30 weight?

Any help here is appreciate,

thanks,

Ron.

canam1991

6 quarts of plain 10w-30 start it up raise and lower lifts before moving :scratchead: