Sign in to follow this  
kpinnc

Help me ID this carb?

kpinnc

I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be on these, so I thought I'd ask. This looks to me to be a Carter carb, and I hope it's for a K161 or K181. The only other 8hp carb I have is a Walbro. Sorry for the fuzzy pics- it was cold, and I was shivering a bit! :thumbs:

It's got "22" embossed in the throat:

muledrive062.jpg

These are just for reference. There are some numbers on the body, but they are kinda hard to read. I'm sure they'd show up with a good cleaning.

muledrive063.jpg

muledrive064.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Kevin

Kelly

It looks like the carter carb. I have on my 857 I'm going out there later I'll look closer. Is the 22 the throtle bore size? like the 28 on the 10-12 and some 14hp kohlers and the 30 on the 14-16hp ones, I think but not sure :thumbs: that is metric meaning 22mm not sure, please correct me if wrong so I know.

kpinnc

Kelly, I think that's correct on the bore size, but am not sure. I was thinking the same thing. Brian Miller's site says this:

"The size number on all Carter [model N] and Kohler carburetors is embossed inside the carburetor and can be seen by looking inside the upper part of the choke end, just above the venturi."

Trouble with that is there isn't a reference for a #22, so I'm stuck guessing...

Kevin

TT

and..... I'm not positive, but I think the 7 / 8 hp carbs were the only ones with the air cleaner backing plate brace screw holes on the "PTO" side.

I also think the "big block" carbs have the idle air mixture adjusting screw on the opposite (flywheel) side.

kpinnc

Thanks Kelly and Terry!

Forgive me for plugging Brian's site again, but this is what it shows for 7 and 8 hp engines. The differences with mine are the air cleaner plate screws (mine only has 3- the bottom two on the pic below are not on mine), and that it doesn't have "Carter" on it anywhere, as in the picture. The opening on the front of the carb is exactly the same size as the Walbro.

I guess I'm wondering if this is a correct carb for either my 867 or my 701. If it is, I'm gonna rebuild it.

Thanks again!

Kevin

Attached Image

post-9-1202766402.jpg

Kelly

I went out and looked at my 857 and it has carter on the front pto side of the carb. I have another that I could get to looks the same but does not have carter on it, both are 8hp. I would say it would be worth a try on one of your tractors.

Kelly

And yes TT is right about the adjusting screw on a big block carb, it's on the flywheel side, and the fuel inlet is on the PTO side, The small carbs are the other way around.

kpinnc

Kelly,

Thanks for braving the cold to check on that.

Kevin