Sign in to follow this  
plowmaster

hot rod A-100

plowmaster

seeing as i cant find a pulley for the engine to run the deck, ill be turning the a-100 into a hot rod. ive already flipped the front axle and have a 15 hp briggs to go into it. not sure what im going to do with the deck and linkage as the fella that sold it to me put over 200 dollars into rebuilding it over a year ago. ive found that it has a narrower front axle, so i swapped and flipped in a larger one from the charger. it sits less than an inch off the ground. im hoping to keep as much of it original so if i do eventually find a pulley it can mow again. best cutting deck ive run.

what would be the trick to remove the tranny pulley? will i need a larger pulley on the motor or will just a smaller pulley on the tranny suffice? after i pulley it, is it going to move from a stop? im a bit worried about it only being a three speed. should there be things i check before i attempt this? id like to get some speed out of it.

ill have some pics up tomorrow, dont fret!

Sparky

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can remove the deck hanging stuff off the A-100 deck and install deck hanging stuff from an "Attach-a-Matic" style deck so you could use it on your 416. What deck is it, 36" or 42"? Shouldnt be hard to find a rotted out deck from a "C" or 300-400-500 series tractor for a doner.

Cant help you on the speed thing.

Mike.......

plowmaster

sparky, thats a great thought. i think i read somwhere that it is possible, and after looking at it i think its doable. ive got an 8 horse techumsa that might find its way to a large frame tractor once i find a good gear drive tranny. that deck would be perfect. its a 36 incher. id use the hydro drive but one: the power issue and two: the bronco hubs have been welded to the axle. the 14 horse will be replacing the blown onan on the 416, along with the sheetmetal.

plowmaster

should i be looking into another tranny as you cant shift the peerless without stopping?

plowmaster

upon asking that ....i dove into finding information on this peerless 626, seems that you can shift them whilest moving, from second to third, good enough for me.

i had to POUND the pulley off by striking the input shaft, and that was enough to destroy the snap ring that holds the shaft in place. i managed to pull the seal without ripping it, as it wasnt quite flush to the tranny casting, i chiseled it up and out. luckily i had a different peerless in the shed, so i just stole the ring from that one.

ive got a three inch pulley and a six inch, the one i took off the tractor was closer to twelve. one pulley is aluminum that im a bit afraid of.. i plan on mounting a set round deere fenders to the frame and leaving the center open to change pulley sizes at will. i also am working on making a set of front fenders i found on a wagon.

hopefully ill get some pics up soon, this will be my daily driver! one thing ive been thinking of is ball bearings for the front wheels. i plan on using the same size tires all around, regular wh fronts.