Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

HorseFixer

Looks Good Mate! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

Jake Kuhn

Looks fantastic! :bow-blue:

bowtiebutler956

Very nice Ian! :text-datsphatyo: So, is the dozer blade the next thing on the list? :teasing-poke:

Matt :flags-texas:

Stigian

Looks Good Mate! :handgestures-thumbupright:

~Duke

Thank you Duke, she's getting there.

Looks fantastic! :bow-blue:

Ta muchly Jake.

Very nice Ian! So, is the dozer blade the next thing on the list? :teasing-poke:

Thanks Matt. The dozer blade wasn't going to tackled next... But you know how plans change :D

Sooooo... still being confused as to how to stretch the fenders and keep the "WH look" to them I thought I'd tackle something a bit less taxing on the brain cells..

An off cut from one of the foot plates..

TSS14666.jpg

Straightened, chopped and welded back together..

TSS14667.jpg

It was then welded under the belt guard to add a little extra strength and to give me something strong to weld a couple of nuts to.

TSS14668.jpg

The belt guard and foot plate bolted on.

TSS14669.jpg

Looking at the other side the foot plate has been lengthened but not laid back yet. It also need a trim to narrow it.. To work out how much it needs narrowing I had to tackle the side cover first.

TSS14670.jpg

Starting with this slightly rusty and bent C-175 cover..

TSS14671.jpg

Trimmed and being extended.

TSS14672.jpg

The new longer look. :D

TSS14673.jpg

TSS14674.jpg

And with foot plate plonked in place for a quick look.

TSS14675.jpg

The next day was cold enough for me to light the gas bottle wood burner in the shack. It was nice to hear the crackle of wood burning again.

TSS14676.jpg

Back to the side cover.. A bit of steel in the vice ready to be bent..

TSS14677.jpg

Bent!!

TSS14678.jpg

Clamped on the cover for welding.

TSS14679.jpg

The first part added.

TSS14680.jpg

Number 2 going on.

TSS14681.jpg

Quite a while later... I'm happy with the fit :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS14682.jpg

TSS14683.jpg

To finish that day the first of my log deliveries arrived.. Here's about 3/4's of a ton of logs behind my 312-8.. I thought putting the full load of 1 ton on the trailer might be pushing it a bit.. Sorry about the rubbish phone photo.

TSS14684.jpg

Stigian

The next day was mostly spent stacking logs away.. A job that I hate doing as it always knackers me out so I have to do it slowly!

But I did manage to get some more metal work done.

Before I got too carried away with the side cover/foot plate the battery tray was cut out of here..

TSS14686.jpg

And plonked here.. It might just fit with the "extra" metal removed.

TSS14687.jpg

A while later the foot plate had been re-angled at the front and back and marked out for cutting.

TSS14688.jpg

Trimmed and a flange welded on the inside. The top left side needs a little sorting still, but as I'm not sure whats happening with it yet, it can wait until I do know.

TSS14689.jpg

A little trim for the side cover..

TSS14690.jpg

And it was a perfect fit.. Me happy :D

TSS14691.jpg

TSS14692.jpg

By this point in the day my brain and body were too tired to tackle anything complex, so while waiting for the second log delivery to arrive I dragged the "cobbled together" tracks in the shack..

TSS14693.jpg

And reduced them to their component parts..

TSS14694.jpg

The next day... Yep you guessed it... Stacking more logs away....

TSS14697.jpg

Aaahhh... You can almost smell it :D

TSS14698.jpg

A job well done by the 312..

TSS14699.jpg

Even if it did struggle to get through this very wet muddy mess with 3/4 ton of logs in tow.. I finally found the limits of the mighty 312 with it's bigger ballasted tires and extra weight from the roll bar and battery box!

TSS14696.jpg

Loads more to come later, I'm off to the shack now to stand in front of the lathe for a while :D

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

Ian,

Great to see you making progress. We get a little squirrelly over here when we don't get our regular "Stig-Fix".

Thanks for the update

David

Stigian

Ian,

Great to see you making progress. We get a little squirrelly over here when we don't get our regular "Stig-Fix".

Thanks for the update

David

Sorry.. I will attempt to update more often to keep them pesky squirrels away :D

Right, more metalwork taking place and more captive nuts.. This time they have been welded inside the flange on the left side foot plate.

TSS14700.jpg

So the new side cover can be bolted on.. I thought it would be good to make this cover easily removable should I need to get access to the spool valve in a hurry.

TSS14701.jpg

After a bit of fun drilling holes in the foot plate to match these threaded holes in the chassis..

TSS14703.jpg

The side cover had it's welds dressed down and given a lick of paint. It's only lightly bolted in here as the paint was still quite tacky.

TSS14704.jpg

Another captive nut ready to be welded on a bit of angle...

TSS14707.jpg

Welded on and welded onto the chassis. This will give a bit of extra strength under the foot plate and stop it from bending over time as they do.

TSS14708.jpg

More steel being added, the belt guard this time..

TSS14710.jpg

It just needs a little shaping and the square hole moving.

TSS14711.jpg

Shaped and ground down, bit of a shame I managed to add to much metal and warp the side of the cover at the same time! :banghead:

TSS14712.jpg

So off came the belt guard to be sorted.. Straightening was easy, but I trimmed too much steel off!!

TSS14713.jpg

So the trimmings were tack welded back on minus the 1mm from cutting it off..

TSS14714.jpg

Look at that, a perfect fit now.. :dance:

TSS14715.jpg

Looking even better after grinding the welds down and a splash of paint.

TSS14716.jpg

• Like 1

Ole MN

Ian,

Your work and resourcefulness continues to amaze me.

Stigian

I had a quick look at raising the seat to try and stop the cramp in my legs while driving it.

TSS14718.jpg

I didn't get cramp instantly, which was a good sign, but how was I off for foot and leg space??

Foot space was just about ok, but leg space on the steering levers was a bit tight..

TSS14719.jpg

Even more so with the levers all the way back... A few tweaks of the levers may be needed!

TSS14720.jpg

I think I have worked out how to stretch the fenders now. It's too hard to explain so you will have to wait until I start on them. But as long as the arrow lines up with the edge of the foot plates then my idea should work..

TSS14722.jpg

It does however mean the edges of the fenders won't sit where they should do on a WH which is about half way over the tire, but there is no other way I can get around it.. I think it looks ok anyway.

TSS14723.jpg

TSS14725.jpg

The fenders are going to have to wait a few weeks though as I might of accidentally clicked on a "buy it now" button on the video camera of my dreams instead of buying the steel I need :eusa-whistle:

So I needed to find something else to do on the project... You can start cheering now Matt :D

TSS14721.jpg

After some mocking up to get measurements, the masking tape proved to be too wide.

TSS14732.jpg

A couple of squares were cut from this 8mm thick plate.

TSS14727.jpg

The first one on the lathe..

TSS14728.jpg

Quite a while later...

TSS14733.jpg

The first slice off the ever shortening pillar drill leg.

TSS14734.jpg

The inside done.

TSS14735.jpg

Can you guess what it is yet?? I still need to remove plenty of material from the groove but it's heading in the right direction.

TSS14736.jpg

Oh, and six somethings arrived the other day... These should help out with traction :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS14730.jpg

There you go chap's, an up to date thread once again.

• Like 2

bowtiebutler956

I thought it looked unstopable with turf tires, but 6 ags! :jaw::scared-eek::woohoo::bow-blue:

Anglo Traction

Ok Ian, So your going for the CAT Dozer Blade layout !!!. :techie-eureka: and I guess you're making the Pivot Plates and Bearing(s) ?. Mighty Meaty Matey !......Loads 'a' Steel...Love it :handgestures-thumbup: .

Heaven knows what your Garden tracks will look like when you spin 360 deg on those Ags (the Somme springs to mind God rest 'em). They will be some serious Turf Tearers :auto-layrubber:

Lookin like your gonna need a Gallon of the Red Stuff to paint it all !.

Great work as always Ian, Also great to meet up with you again and thanks.

Regards.

HorseFixer

Ahhh Ye$$$$$ Spending More Dollars! :dance: Thats what I like to see :wicked: Stengthening that Euro :eusa-clap:

No Really It Looks Great Ian and love to see you havin so much fun! $$ :eusa-whistle: Spending more than me! :ychain:

Edited by HorseFixer

Don1977

We are running low on our Stig Special Fix. We need an update! Have you been changing tires and haven't got enough strength left to type one. :ychain:

Stigian

Ian,

Your work and resourcefulness continues to amaze me.

Thanks Brad.

I thought it looked unstopable with turf tires, but 6 ags! :scared-eek:

Yeah, they should help out with grip a bit :D

Ok Ian, So your going for the CAT Dozer Blade layout !!!. :techie-eureka: and I guess you're making the Pivot Plates and Bearing(s) ?. Mighty Meaty Matey !......Loads 'a' Steel...Love it :handgestures-thumbup: .

Heaven knows what your Garden tracks will look like when you spin 360 deg on those Ags (the Somme springs to mind God rest 'em). They will be some serious Turf Tearers

Lookin like your gonna need a Gallon of the Red Stuff to paint it all !.

Great work as always Ian, Also great to meet up with you again and thanks.

Regards.

Your far too good at this guessing lark Richard :D

Yep you have got it spot on, a CAT dozer blade type thingy.

The lawn shouldn't suffer too much, it's almost a straight run out the shack and through the gate.. Then I can churn up the landlords land instead, though I'm not sure I can churn it up any more than the tractors have!

Lol, painting the beast is not something I'm looking forward to, an awful lot of bits to turn red..

Ahhh Ye$$$$$ Spending More Dollars! Thats what I like to see Stengthening that Euro

No Really It Looks Great Ian and love to see you havin so much fun! $$ Spending more than me! :ychain:

I knew I could count on you Duke to enjoy the sight of rubber :ROTF:

We are running low on our Stig Special Fix. We need an update! Have you been changing tires and haven't got enough strength left to type one. :ychain:

Ok Don, if you insist :D

Stigian

Sorry Guy's and Girl's not much of an update this time, quite a while has been spent at the lathe producing this..

TSS14737.jpg

Two of them in fact.

TSS14745.jpg

Quickly clamped on the outrigger.

TSS14738.jpg

These blade pivot :thingy: 's will be welded to the outriggers..

I could of made them bolt on, but welding them on is the stronger option..

I know they will "stick out" a bit, but I do have an idea which not only will stop them getting caught on trees and help people get in and out the machine, but it will also stop patches of grease from getting on trousers and make the thud of bone against hard steel less painful!

TSS14739.jpg

At some point last week (or was it the week before :confusion-shrug: ) I wrestled a tire off a wheel rim and stuck the rim in my E-tank..

TSS14731.jpg

Yesterday it was pulled out, seen here awaiting a scrub in a slowly filling up wheel barrow.

TSS14740.jpg

Bubble bubble..

TSS14741.jpg

After a good wet wire brushing ten min's was more than enough on the rather hot wood burner/express dryer.

TSS14742.jpg

Clean and gleaming, I was tempted to try polishing the rims and giving them a coat of clear to keep the shine in B)

TSS14743.jpg

But no, painted they must be, so on went a few coats of red oxide. Only grey primer and top coat to go... But that can wait until warmer weather..

TSS14744.jpg

I almost forgot...

Here's the latest build vid, part 42 for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by Stigian

Don1977

The blade pivots and wheel look good. Just 5 more wheels to go! I guess the next thing is the blade mount. That will take a while. My guess is you will saw them into and bolt them back together before boring the holes.

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Ian! :text-datsphatyo: I'm really looking forward to seeing the dozer blade come together, and seeing the ag's mounted! :woohoo:

Stigian

The blade pivots and wheel look good. Just 5 more wheels to go! I guess the next thing is the blade mount. That will take a while. My guess is you will saw them into and bolt them back together before boring the holes.

Thanks Don. Less than 5 wheels to go now :handgestures-thumbup:

Your guess on the blade mounts is wrong... Your have to wait to find out how I'm doing them :D

Looking good Ian! :text-datsphatyo: I'm really looking forward to seeing the dozer blade come together, and seeing the ag's mounted! :woohoo:

Ta muchly Matt, it will be a while before the dozer blade is done, getting there (well I thought I was) with the AG's though.

More fun with tires guy's 'n' girl's..

Getting the rubber off the rims has mostly been a right pain with years of grime and and hole sealing gunk inside, but one tire did come off nicely with the help of a valve spring compressor :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS14748.jpg

As there was already something in the E-tank this rim was attacked the old fashioned way...

TSS14749.jpg

Strange manufacturing marks!!

TSS14750.jpg

Pete admiring the first tire fitted.

TSS14751.jpg

By the end of yesterday the count stood at 2 tires fitted, one rim ready for fitting, and another rim busy relaxing in the E-tank.

TSS14752.jpg

First job on the hit list today was to fit the 3rd tire.. Strangely it was easier and quicker with just one person doing the fitting, than yesterdays two people efforts!!

With the tire fitted I was still two wheel rims short of the required amount, best swap some wheels over then..

The first two on..

TSS14753.jpg

When it came to number three I knew something wasn't right when taking the bearing block/bearings off.. They didn't want to come off without a fight!!

With the grease wiped off I could see the problem!! :omg:

TSS14754.jpg

Er... Yep, that's quite bent!!

TSS14755.jpg

Can I straighten it? I hope so!

How did it happen?

Er...

Looking through my video footage (some that didn't make it onto MooTube), it looks like it happened when I attempted a full throttle launch during the making of the last driving vid... :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:

Lars

Looks nice whit new tires Ian.. is that trelleborg tires?

on my raider i also have those marks on my rim's.. and i think all of them have it seems like there is a weld in the center of the mark..so it prolly from a welding machine or somthing..?? ill just guess:-

and about your axel im sure u can straighten it up again..but it is a heck of a job to get it 100%

Lars

Anglo Traction

Great progress on the Wheels n Boots Ian!. So the was the Bent Shaft off the Left Rear?. If so, could that have been why you had more Chain Slack on that side?.

As Lars says, straightening that will be a heck of a job to get it running True again.

Alternative I suppose is Chop the Shaft between the Hub and Bearing Block, turn up a new one and shrink/weld and pin it on :scratchead: .

At least your Bearing Blocks and Shaft Welds passed the Stress Test. :handgestures-thumbup:

bowtiebutler956

I do love the look of those ags on there! :text-datsphatyo: Wow, that wide open throttle take off must have been pretty wild to do that to your axle! :jaw:

Stigian

Looks nice whit new tires Ian.. is that trelleborg tires?

on my raider i also have those marks on my rim's.. and i think all of them have it seems like there is a weld in the center of the mark..so it prolly from a welding machine or somthing..?? ill just guess:-

and about your axel im sure u can straighten it up again..but it is a heck of a job to get it 100%

Lars

Evening Lars, yep they are Trelleborgs.

All the wheels I have cleaned up so far have had the "welding line" across them, but only the one has what looks like lots of little hammer marks all in neat lines!

I like your optimism about my axle straightening skills :handgestures-thumbup:

Great progress on the Wheels n Boots Ian!. So the was the Bent Shaft off the Left Rear?. If so, could that have been why you had more Chain Slack on that side?.

As Lars says, straightening that will be a heck of a job to get it running True again.

Alternative I suppose is Chop the Shaft between the Hub and Bearing Block, turn up a new one and shrink/weld and pin it on :scratchead: .

At least your Bearing Blocks and Shaft Welds passed the Stress Test. :handgestures-thumbup:

Evening Richard, yep the bent shaft is the left rear, but it's not why there was a bit more slack.

If you have a look at my Part 41 video you can see the sprocket is running true when Pete was larking about in the yard, but when I'm driving back to the shack you can see a wobble, so the damage had only just been done!

I'm not sure if I can straighten the axle (I have made a start on it today), I might have to reuse the hub but make a new axle bit.. We shall see.

Lol, yes the bearing blocks and welds handled the strain.. I like your positive thinking :D

I do love the look of those ags on there! :text-datsphatyo: Wow, that wide open throttle take off must have been pretty wild to do that to your axle! :jaw:

Thanks Matt, yep the full throttle take of was quite mad, all 6 tires even span for a second.. It was a shame that Pete got the camera rolling a couple of seconds too late and missed the launch.. Not something I fancy trying again, once has caused enough damage!

Well, I managed to get the axle a bit straighter today.. Not by much but enough to be able to get the bearing off.. The green line is where the bend starts.

TSS14756.jpg

TSS14757.jpg

Not being sure on the best way to tackle the axle I turned to something I do know... More wheels..

Number four is painted awaiting a tire, and number five is in the E-tank after the easiest tire removal so far.. The valve spring compressor did me proud today.. :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS14758.jpg

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

Can you not turn the axle straight up and down in the vise, holding only the not bent part in the jaws, and then use something like a large pipe wrench to muscle the axle straight?

pycoed

Looks nasty Ian - I can't see how that could have bent - either the outboard bearing block must have moved or the transmission must have twisted. Either way there MUST have been some relative movement between that pair, so..... how is the other end of the rear pair?

Shouldn't be too difficult to straighten - try a hydraulic pipe bender or a press with vee blocks supporting the straight bits.

You'll need to get centre holes in each end of the axle so you can spin it in the lathe & use a DTI to check for straightness.

Does the mandrel hole of your lathe accept the diameter of the axle? If not, it may be better to take it to someone with a bigger lathe so you can get centres put into it, then it'll be just trial & error with the press & then DTI.

Cheer up - it's not that badly bent - have a look at this hydraulic rod from my back actor!! :-

post-7935-0-74254400-1354298395_thumb.jp

HorseFixer

Looking Good Ian, :handgestures-thumbupright: Love those Ags :wicked: and nice Video with the New Cam!

Cheers :beer: ~Duke