Sign in to follow this  
Duff

312-8 tranny rebuild

Duff

Hi, guys!

I've got the tranny opened up and disassembled. Much to my relief, everything looks good - no worn or shipped gears, no scoring on any shafts, shift forks straight and showing very little wear (except for the high-lo fork, which I will replace), needle bearings all smooth and tight, and the bronze bushings showing no play or slop. I can see where the water I found in the tranny had sat before I got the tractor, but it was at the lowest point of the unit below the moving parts. The case had some grunge but it cleaned up very easily.

Since I'd rather not go back in any time soon, I am going to replace all the oil seals and the needle bearings that support the brake and input shafts and the axles.

My manual says to replace these "as needed" and to use appropriate arbors - which I don't have -but doesn't give any advice on how to go about this process. So here I am looking for help again.....

1) The bearings that are closed on one end appear to have a "cap" that extends to the outside of the tranny case. Is this the way the bearing is made, or is the "cap" or "plug" a separate part? The IPL's don't really give me a clear idea.

2) To remove these bearings, do you drive them toward the inside of the case or to the outside? Same question with the needle bearings out at the ends of the axles? What's the best way to do this?

3) Without arbors, what's the best way to seat the new bearings? Can I tap them in carefully using hardwood dowels, deep drive sockets, or what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance for any replies! :thumbs2:

Duff

TJ

The bearings and cap are one piece, and you drive them from the inside of the transmission out.

I just use a socket or a large punch, and try really, really hard not to score the walls. :thumbs2:

I hope that helps,

Tom

can whlvr

I have a small wood lathe that i use to make driver dowels if i dont have any thing else,if you use a hard punch be careful,especially replacing them as to not bend the bearing,clean the hole with very fine emery cloth,oil it and the bearing and start the bearing straight,a press is handy,but i have done two with wood dowels,ialso used softwood because i was concerned about bending the bearing,good luck.